Beretta 92 clone vs Hi-power clone

old_yout

This is a bit of a twist, I think, to existing threads about these guns' respective originals.

But that's pretty much the idea. Which of these clones is a better buy? I'm interested in getting one but know very little about each. I understand there are a number of Hi-power clones from which to choose but the only 92fs clone I'd be interested in is Taurus'.
So:
Dependability? Price? Accuracy? Other things I haven't thought to ask?

Thanks,
S

IM_Lugger

I never liked hi-power design (charles daily, fn...) but I like the Taurus PT92/99 a lot. They are cheaper than Berettas, but if you have the money get the original. :)

rdebert

Never had any form of high power. Had a Taurus 92 AFS in stainless and traded it in for a Beretta 92FS in OD color. The Beretta does have a higher level of fit and finish but I actually shot the Taurus more accurately than I can currently shoot the Beretta for some reason. Just the way things work sometimes. Both are very good. I would not hesitate to buy the Taurus 92 series based on my experience.

Handy

Since there are several high quality clones of both, this really just seems like a 92 vs. HP question. They are pretty different guns in their size, trigger/safety system and materials. But there is no reason to claim that one is "better" than another.

I've always appreciated the steel construction of the HP, but just bought a Vektor 92 variant.

Jehzsa

The Arcus 98 will last a lifetime. Or two. All-steel construction. Trigger can be lightened up, if need be.

The Vektor is a very nice specimen. Both in handling and finish.

shep854

Having owned and shot both a Taurus 92 and the Argentine FM Hi-power, I'd give the HP clone the nod for compactness, and the Taurus for a better thumb safety. Also, the HP clones have a magazine disconnect, while Taurus does not, if that's important to you.

gunrunner

I dont know anybody who doesnt shoot the Hipower better right out of the box than any of my other pistols. the Hi power is a great pistol. it also is designed with a smaller grip in mind. i like my 92Fs but would take the high power if its were between the 2.