Beretta 81 mags

burrhead

Has anyone found a source of GOOD mags for a Beretta 81? I know they'll be expensive but I'd like to have one spare.

mecgar

Just a FYI, the modification robertsons does voids our warranty, so we won't be servicing them if there are issues and Robertsons should be contacted directly.

jar

Just a FYI, the modification robertsons does voids our warranty, so we won't be servicing them if there are issues and Robertsons should be contacted directly.

orig.gif

What's the chances of Mecgar offering Beretta 81 magazines in the US soon?

libiglou

The bigger issue is does the 10 and or 14 round conversion work. I'm holding off buying a 81 till I get some positive feedback on the Robertson conversion. In my case I can only legally own 10 round mags for this gun so if the mags don't work I'm screwed with a gun a can't shoot.

TruthTellers

I read on another forum someone used the modded 84 mags and he said that the rounds have to be loaded into the mag with care to make sure they don't nosedive in the magazine.

Personally, I would wait until mags become more available (if ever) before getting the 81. I made an order on AIM today and I had the Zastava M70 and the 81BB in my cart, was tempted to get both, and ended up removing the Beretta. I'm just not interested in another potential problem gun, let alone one that you can't get mags for.

HBoswell

I got my two modified 84 magazines from Robertson's and checked them for function and they worked fine, until you get to the last round. The small square button molded into the follower which actuates the slide lock engages after the 13th round, leaving the last round in the magazine. Not cool. I compared it to the stock magazine and found that the button is angled so I just used a razor knife to trim the top edge off the button so that is is level. Works perfectly now.
I have included a picture showing how much I trimmed off. Took a trip to the range yesterday and boy was I pleased. Shot 4 of my 32's, Bersa Firestorm, Savage 1907, Beretta 81 and my new CZ 50 which I got with the Beretta from Classic 'cause I couldn't pass on it for $220. The Savage had an issue(slam fire) , fortunately it happened down range, so back in the bag it went. Found the problem when I got home and broke it down, it's missing a part. Everything else functioned perfectly until I was running some S/D rounds in the CZ and I had a rimlock with the Hornady ammo. The Beretta ran perfectly with all ammo and all three magazines. It was also the most accurate and easiest to shoot, very comfortable for a blowback design.

Attachments

• Inkedberetta mag fix 1_resize.jpg
    Inkedberetta mag fix 1_resize.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 161

scoobysnacker

I got my two modified 84 magazines from Robertson's and checked them for function and they worked fine, until you get to the last round. The small square button molded into the follower which actuates the slide lock engages after the 13th round, leaving the last round in the magazine. Not cool. I compared it to the stock magazine and found that the button is angled so I just used a razor knife to trim the top edge off the button so that is is level. Works perfectly now.
I have included a picture showing how much I trimmed off. Took a trip to the range yesterday and boy was I pleased. Shot 4 of my 32's, Bersa Firestorm, Savage 1907, Beretta 81 and my new CZ 50 which I got with the Beretta from Classic 'cause I couldn't pass on it for $220. The Savage had an issue(slam fire) , fortunately it happened down range, so back in the bag it went. Found the problem when I got home and broke it down, it's missing a part. Everything else functioned perfectly until I was running some S/D rounds in the CZ and I had a rimlock with the Hornady ammo. The Beretta ran perfectly with all ammo and all three magazines. It was also the most accurate and easiest to shoot, very comfortable for a blowback design.
Thanks for the review of the Robertson's mags; I've done business with them and they have been good. And particularly, thanks for the details on fixing the mag. I'm going to order some now, I can't see a better price coming along anytime soon.

My experience shooting the 81 is similar to yours; I also have a Savage 1907, some CZ 27s, a pair of Mauser 1914's, and a FEG AP7.
There's really no comparison; the Beretta is a superior gun to these across the board.

I have accuracy issues with the Savage (due to the grip, not the gun itself); I just can't shoot it for anything. Braced firmly on a bench it groups well, but standing offhand I'm lucky to get 1 ft groups at 7 yds :eek:
The CZs and Mausers have reliability issues after a couple of mags, and one of the Mausers requires me to press the magazine upwards into the magwell as I shoot to actuate the striker. Otherwise it won't shoot. I've swapped mags back and forth, doesn't matter.

The FEG is superior to the antiques, but the design and grip remain uncomfortable to shoot. I have the same gun in 9x18 Makarov, the .32 isn't as sharp a recoil, but still jolts the hand.

The Beretta 81 handles, aims, and shoots very similar to a good fullsize 9mm, downscaled. Minimal recoil impulse, bullets go where you want (I had tight groups at 10 yds easily), and it's the only one I'd feel comfortable trying to hit a 1 ft target at say, 20 yds or so.

smee78

I'm sure it will be like a lot of other surplus guns out there, the mags are out there and these guns needed mags where ever they came from and are likely to show up. I bought the gun while prices are low and will wait for more mags once they appear. It would be nice if a company like Mecgar would speak up and let us know if they are working on making mags like they do for the 84's.

TruthTellers

I'm sure it will be like a lot of other surplus guns out there, the mags are out there and these guns needed mags where ever they came from and are likely to show up. I bought the gun while prices are low and will wait for more mags once they appear. It would be nice if a company like Mecgar would speak up and let us know if they are working on making mags like they do for the 84's.
If they are they won't tell us until they're available and in production and frankly that's the way it should be because we get told things from gun companies all the time that they're "working on things" and a year goes by and their promises haven't been kept.

I'm still waiting on rifle barrels from Midland Arms, I'm waiting for GWACS to come out with their updated polymer AR lowers, I still can't find a Kel Tec CP33 for under $500.

mecgar

orig.gif

What's the chances of Mecgar offering Beretta 81 magazines in the US soon?
To be honest, slim to none. The economics unfortunately aren't there and with the schedule of our engineers and tooling shop it would probably be at least a year before it hit the market even if the economics worked out.

jar

To be honest, slim to none. The economics unfortunately aren't there and with the schedule of our engineers and tooling shop it would probably be at least a year before it hit the market even if the economics worked out.

Are there magazines for the 81 currently available in Europe? Is the Cheetah still sold in Europe?

burrhead

Their Euro website says they won't ship to the US. Looks like Robertson Trading Post is where it's at or wait for Beretta USA to get some.

TruthTellers

JSYK, when MecGar is saying "the economics aren't there" they're saying they're not in the 1911, Beretta 92, Hi Power, PP/PPK, or Sig P226 level of economics.

Which means really, REALLY popular and common and not just in the US, but worldwide.

It's a bit surprising to me that the Beretta 81 is not more popular in Europe given the .32 caliber is very popular there.

HBoswell

Just a FYI on the beretta 32 magazines. You can load them with a maglula loader if you file off about a 32nd from each side of the finger in the loader. I just used my dremel with a small sanding drum. Works great and the loader still works with higher calibers.

scoobysnacker

Robertson's has the modified 84 mags back in stock. I ordered one, since the reviews seem to indicate they have figured the conversion out.