Beretta 8045 Vs. Mini-Cougar?

Mastrogiacomo

I've been thinking of getting a Beretta Cougar in the coming months. I like the look of the Beretta Mini Cougar but since it's a .45, I worry about the recoil. Which is the better gun for accuracy, with the least recoil and the most enjoyable shooting experience overall? Thank you in advance. :)

croyance

Well, I only have the full-sized Cougar and not the mini-Cougar. The real difference is that the mini-Cougar has a shorter grip, so accuracy should not be affected.
With the 6-round magazines, the mini-Cougar has less grip to use, which may affect your accuracy. The 8-round magazines have a grip-extension, which should help. The weight difference between the Cougar and mini-Cougar is in the grips, which shouldn't affect recoil control much.

Mastrogiacomo

Thank you! I appreciate the input. I'll probably try and rent these guns when the time comes to compare, and see how they feel to the grip. Thank you for your insight. :D

Eric Larsen

Well they are the same gun except for the shorter grip...the Compact comes with a longer mag that mimics the standard guns grip profile...so I really dont see the difference...use the longer mag. Accuracy isnt effected by grip length...
Shoot well

Kermit

The fullsize Cougar is a fun gun to shoot. I don't really care for guns w/ short grips, so I'd recommend staying away from the mini.

XavierBreath

I have a Mini-Cougar in .40 S&W. It is quickly becoming my favorite pistol, usurping the venrable old 92FS' spot. The Mini- Cougar has some recoil in .40, but is not uncontrollable. Double taps are relatively easy. I actually prefer the shorter magazine. I allow my pinky finger to curl under the bottom of the magazine, and my grip is fine.

If I were to get the Cougar again, I would again get the Mini. It gives you the versatility of the full size grip with the 10 round mag, or more concealability with the 8 round mag.

The Mini-Cougar comes in 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP.

sig970

You're correct to rent and fire them first. I think the Beretta Cougar is a fantastic handgun, but the mini-Cougar and my big hands did not go together

Mastrogiacomo

Good advice, thanks people. Of course if I start saving now, I could go for the Cougar 8045 in full size and get the Mini - Cougar in the 9 mm. :D Something to think about anyway. I'll have time too, because I recently learned the Cougar isn't on the approved gun list for this state. However, the Vertec 92 became avilable finally so there's hope that it could change in the near future. I've explored other guns like Sigs and Glocks. No offense to owners of these brands but I think it's hard to beat a Beretta for easy cleaning, reliability and price! :)

Costas

Mastrogiacomo, I hate to piss on your bonfire (figure of speech), but unless you're planning on moving, you won't be able to get either of them in Mass. The 8000 Mini Cougar was my first choise in a handgun, but I found out that it's not legal in Mass. :mad:

It's unfortunate that we live in a state that won't allow an awesome gun like the 8000 series to be sold. :confused:

Hopefully they will allow it in the future.
Good Luck :cool:

EDIT: Sorry Mastrogiacomo, I should have read the post before this. I guess you already figured it out, that it's not an approved gun.