Beretta 1935

Sid

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting one of these in .32 auto. I would like to hear opinions on this pistol from people who have experience with them. TIA

James K

Member In Memoriam
That model and the .380 caliber Model 1934 are compact, single-action, blowback-operated auto pistols and highly collectible in decent condition. The Model 1934 was the Italian service pistol in WWII. The down side is that there are smaller and lighter pistols today in both those calibers, the sights are not that great and the safety serves only to block the trigger, not the sear.

The plus side is that they are simple, rugged, and very reliable. As with most auto pistols of that era, they were never designed for anything but full jacket ammunition and might not work well with some of the newer soft or hollow point ammunition. But if you ever wanted a gun that you could run a railroad train over and then shoot it, the Beretta Models 34 and 35 would probably be your choice.

Jim

Deaf Smith

Sid,

I have a 1934 .380 made in 1941 (yes for the Italian Army.)

As James said, they are rugger as all get out but there are lighter and smaller .380s today.

Mine has a WW2 mag and at least with FMJ shoots quite well. But with the safety above the trigger, and yes it does only block the trigge, it's more of a interesting period piece and less a combat pistol made for today (but it would work fine as a house gun.)

It goes real well with my GI National Postal Meter M1 Carbine, paid $225 for the Italian 1934 and $340 for the M1 Carbine.

Now if you want a .32 for carry, and about that size, the SIG 232 in .32 ACP, made for the Japanese cops, is about the best you can get.

I'd only get a Beretta 1935 .32, if it had the marks of a WW2 Italian Navy or Air Force as they used the .32 version.

Deaf

Billy Shears

My 1934 is one of my favorite pistols. As others have said, it's not ideal for concealed carry or self defense use, but it's reliable, accurate and built to last a hundred years. Lots of fun.

The Model 1935 was used extensively by the Italian military, both as personal purchases by officers, but also as guns issued to specialized troops, couriers, rear echelon soldiers, and Italian aircrews.

It was also used extensively by the German military.

One interesting tidbit about the 1935 (not sure if this is true of the 1934, but I think it is) is that there is no ejector. When the slide is fully to the rear, the tip of the firing pin protrudes through the face of the slide and kicks the empty round out of the action.

Generally these little Berettas are exactly what you'd expect from Beretta -- extremely reliable, robust, easy to operate, and once you get used to the sights and the generally crappy trigger pull and the sights, easy to shoot well.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Mike,

Sorry, but I believe you have in mind the striker-fired Browning 1910/1922; the Berettas are hammer-fired and have a regular firing pin and ejector.

Jim

Deaf Smith

Correct James. Alot of striker fired guns, patterned after JMB's designs, used the firing pin as the ejector.

The Beretta 1934/1935 uses a plain ejector and extractor.

Deaf

"Sorry, but I believe you have in mind the striker-fired Browning 1910/1922; the Berettas are hammer-fired and have a regular firing pin and ejector."

Yep, they certainly are. Don't know why I made that error.

Wasn't thinking.

Sid: As you are probably aware, the Modello 1934 was 9MM Corto (.380 ACP) and the Modello 1935 was 7.75MM Browning (.32 ACP). Other than the calibre, they are the same gun. Both are extremely rigged and reliable, although the 1934 does have a pretty good "kick".

Deaf Smith

You use it to threaten Italian privates so the obey orders. That and they are worn as a badge of rank. But do note, a .32 in the noggen will do in a fight but you have better be a DANG good shot to do it.

Deaf