Beretta 1201 vs. Benelli M1

FPrice

My local dealer has obtained samples of both of these shotguns in order to evaluate and have them available for his customers. I have wanted a semi-auto SG for a while and am looking at both of them closely. Now, I am not an experienced shotgunner so I tend to pay close attention to this forum to try to learn my way around this class of firearms. (I do have a Remington 870 and a Savage 69XL)

I guess most knowledgeable shotguuners know that these two guns are very closely related. It seems that Beretta and Benelli have agreed to share and from the receiver back they seem to be about 95% common, just a few small details which differ.

My dealer's comment was that the Beretta was a "Cadillac" while the Benelli was a "Rolls-Royce". And the Beretta is about $100 less.

I am trying to decide between the two. I first tended towards the Beretta because of the lower price and somewhat sleeker lines. But I am begining to waiver. Has anyone else been able to compare the two and draw any conclusions?

Thanks.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
I love my... excuse me, my wives 1201*. It was mine till she shot it and decided it was hers. I even put 3" slugs in it to try and deter her... it didn't work. :(

Get the 1201 and use the extra $ for either mods (shorten the stock, tritium front sight insert) or for ammo to practice with. I don't think you'll be sorry with the choice.

Keep that in mind Scott. Don't get toooo attached to it!

psssniper

I owned an M1 and a 1201 at the same time. It seemed to me that the 1201 had more "felt" recoil and "held" different. (does that make sense?) I sold the 1201 and kept the M1 and bought an M3 also. Guns are going to feel different to each individual.
$100 difference?? if i recall i paid about $450 for the 1201 and benellis usually run in the $650-800 range. whats this guys pricing on the two guns? Will he let you try them out? good luck!

HKguy9

Schmidt, you are a lucky man.

Do Benelli accessories (extended tubes, sidesaddles, pistol grips, etc) fit on the Beretta?

hksigwalther

The only reason I never got a 1200/1201 was due to the rear rifle sights. Didn't seem (by appearance) as durable as the Benellis'.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
The day I got my 1201 it went out UPS to Gunsite for their Gunsite Police Shotgun mods - Shortened Stock, MMC Ghost Ring Rear, Tritium Front, Shortened bbl, Triger and Bolt release smoothing.

Haven't done anything else to it ceptin put on a tactical sling.

Don't know if the Benelli accessories will work. I couldn't use an extended mag as my mag is only a tad shorter then the bbl now, and extend one would bring it out past the barrel.

I don't like sidesaddles, but of the people I know how have had them there is some discussion on if they cause the gun to choke, some say yes, some say no. :confused:

Pistol grip? Don't have one and really don't miss it.

jthuang

My best buddy has the 1201FP and I have a Benelli M1.

It is true that they are basically the same gun. The 1201FP has the shell release button located on the front of the triggerguard while the M1's is a release lever on the side of the triggerguard. The 1201FP also holds one less round in full magazine capacity with comparable 18.5" barrels.

There are many more accessories available for the Benelli. The Surefire Responder white light units for the Beretta 1200 will not fit the 1201FP without jury-rigging. I think TacStar doesn't make a Sidesaddle for the 1201 and I have no idea if the Benelli Sidesaddle will fit the 1201.

Also, I haven't seen any 1201FPs with ghost ring sights. My buddy's 1201 has rifle sights -- gold bead on the front. Benellis come with bead, rifle or ghost rings. The Benelli GR is made by LPA (or is it LPS).

Patternmaster also does not make a police fist buckshot choke tube for the 1201FP. Vang Comping of both shotguns is very expensive, as you need to send away to GG&G for an entirely new barrel and then send it to Hans Vang -- total cost is over $500 IIRC.

You can get a pistol grip on a pre-ban Beretta 1201FP -- Choate Machine & Tool made the OEM pistol grip stock for the 1201FP. Benellis come with conventional Monte-Carlo type stocks or pistol grip stocks. Mine has the conventional stock, I like to have the extra 2 rounds in the magazine.

The price difference should be more than just $100. My buddy's 1201FP was $460 NIB. My Benelli, albeit a CDNN close-out special, was $689. Mark Penman's website (RIP) mentioned that dealer cost on the 1201FP was around $400 -- seeing as Benellis routinely run in the $800 range, the price difference should be a lot more than just $100.

Justin