Benelli Nova Fires When Pumped

FiveFeezy

A friend of mine bought a Benelli Nova and took it to the range to try it out. When he pumped it to chamber a round it fired. So he took it back to the store and exchanged it for another Nova. He took it to the range and the exact same thing happened. So he took that one back and now has decided to get something else. When he told me this story I had to ask, "Are you sure you didn't have your finger on the trigger?" He says he is absolutely postive that he did not.

Thoughts?

riggins_83

I haven't seen anything on the Nova lately.. sounds fishy to me. Is this his first gun? Also I've never seen a store that would just do an exchange, so the entire thing sounds fishy...

riggins_83

How hard was he cycling the action? Though I've never heard of a full batch such as this, possible it was a loose primer or the firing pin was jammed. I've not had to work on any Novas other than cleaning my dads a couple years ago..

sks

I have a Super Nova and that has never happened to me. I have racked it hard with no problems. Sounds strange.

zippy13

I haven't heard of this before with the B-Nova. The common factors seems to be the ammo and the operator. What's know about the ammo?

riggins_83

Was he taking apart the gun and cleaning/lubing before he fired them? If so he might have been reassembling wrong..

JohnKSa

Administrator
Thoughts?
There are only a few possibilities.

1. A person purchased two defective shotguns that exhibited exactly the same failure mode.

2. All Benelli Nova shotguns go off when pumped.

3. A new shotgun owner made some sort of mistake and made the same mistake twice.

4. Your buddy made up a story and told it to you.

I'd say that 3 or 4 are the most likely explanations.

the rifleer

I bet it was opporator error or the ammo. Benelli is know for making very high quality shotguns, and the chance the two separet ones opperated failing in exactly the same way are rediculous. Unless I saw it for myself, i wouldn't/don't believe it was the gun's fault.

darkgael

Occam

All things being equal, given a number of possibilities the simplest explanation is most frequently the correct one.
I have a Benelli Nova. Mine doesn't do that. Lots of shooters would say the same thing.
As far as I know, Benelli has not recalled any Novas and that type of malfunction is a definite recall.
A new shotgun owner made some sort of mistake and made the same mistake twice.
Yep.
Pete

JNewell

There are only a few possibilities.

1. A person purchased two defective shotguns that exhibited exactly the same failure mode.

2. All Benelli Nova shotguns go off when pumped.

3. A new shotgun owner made some sort of mistake and made the same mistake twice.

4. Your buddy made up a story and told it to you.

I'd say that 3 or 4 are the most likely explanations.

I can guarantee it's not #2. No. 1 seems highly improbable. I think #s 3 and 4 are the likely suspects.

p99guy

Tell your friend to replace it with a winchester M97 or older model Ithaca 37:D
people liked that they "went Off when pumped"

*I suspect a trigger finger was envolved.

ZeSpectre

I know someone who had a similar complaint about a different model. So I watched him shoot and sure enough his finger was on the trigger as he slammed the slide forward with the predictable result of A) firing the gun, and B) smacking his shoulder since the gun was loose off of his shoulder from being pulled forward.

Or I suppose it could also be an ammo issue.

I tend to doubt that he got two faulty guns in a row, especially from Benelli.

Deerhunter

I wonder how this thread would go if the gun in question was a Remington.

Me, pick me, I know.......Remingtons suck. They don't make them like they did years ago. They only sell guns because of the name.

I am looking at the Benelli for my next shotgun (semi-auto though) but I can just imagine how this would be going if it was a Remington.

I have to agree with a few people though, probably operator error.