Benelli M1 tactical

RangerHAAF

I own one and I say that it's the best auto-loading shotgun that I've ever had. It shoots everything that I load into it from 2 3/4 shells to the 3 inch magnums and I've yet to have a hang up or misfire. It's also cleaner shooting since it's recoil and not gas operated.

Last edited:

vitesse9

I had one for about two years. Shot it all the time. Everything from light skeet loads to 3 inch magnum buckshot. Never a failure. Ever. It is also much cleaner than a gas shotgun. As easy to clean as a pump gun.

It shot the tightest patterns I've ever seen. Dead accurate with slugs at 50 yards. The only reason I got rid of it was, in bad financial times, I couldn't justify owning a $800+ home defense shotgun. When it comes to the Benelli M1, you certainly get what you pay for.

On a side note, there are a few things to keep in mind. The Benelli M1 is out of production. Benelli is now making the M2, which is basically the same gun with a few changes that prevent them from being completely interchangeable.
KX592 said that the Military uses the M1. That's not accurate. As far as I know, the Military uses the M4, which is a gas operated shotgun. Similar in external appearance, but completely different systems.

PetahW

[What can you tell me about the performance and reliability/durability of Benelli M1 tactical?]

It's the Gold Standard for tactical and autoloading shotguns.

PetahW

The M4 is an improvement over the M1, in that it successfully extracts significantly more money from the somewhat jaded & ill-informed buying public.

mathman

The M4 is designed to cycle while having more tacticool gear hanging from your shotgun since it is gas operated. The M2 is just fine (thank you very much) since it is ridiculous to 'hang' all that stuff from a shotty in the first place...IMNSHO.

The M4 is an improvement over the M1, in that it successfully extracts significantly more money from the somewhat jaded & ill-informed buying public.

I think the above quote is very accurate.

Zak Smith

The M1S90 is the most popular shotgun in 3Gun competition because of its reliability. The M2S90 supercedes the M1S90.

We have had several shooters use the M4. It is sensitive to certain types of ammunition (not related to load power)-- once they switched ammo it ran fine.

mete

If you go dove hunting in Argentina you can expect to fire at least 1000 rounds per day !! The two most commonly used shotguns for rental are the Benelli and Beretta semi autos. That says a lot for the Benelli's reliability and durability !!

Firepower!

So in nutshell:

It is realiable and durable.

It is as realiable as M4 S90, but costs less.

On the downside it is out of production and might be hard to find stuff for it.

NoSecondBest

So in nutshell:

It is realiable and durable.

It is as realiable as M4 S90, but costs less.

On the downside it is out of production and might be hard to find stuff for it.

It'a actually a little more reliable than the M4 (read other posts). No gas system is going to be more reliable than Benelli's recoil system, but it is still very reliable. As for parts, Benelli will have parts for the M1 for a very long time. Their service is excellent and getting parts for a gun that they sold so many of will not be a problem. You need to remember one thing about Benelli, Beretta, and every other gun company out there: They will always be coming out with a "new improved" model every year or so. It's called marketing. Doesn't necessarily mean it's really better, just some new toy everyone has to have. By the way, I've owned seven Benelli shotguns and never had a problem with any of them. Never. I've also owned at least that many Beretta's in the 390 and 391 designations and they were all very good also but I did have to send one back for repair and they replaced another one. Service was very good (same company owns both) and I'd have to say that the Beretta was easier to shoot if you shoot a lot (gas operated) and the Benelli was more reliable and easier to clean (rotary bolt, recoil operated).

jg0001

If you don't mind my asking, why is it these are only 4+1 capacity shotguns? I'm looking right at the picture of the M4 on Benelli's sight, and it seems to have a magazine that runs the full length of the barrel (i.e. wasting space). Wouldn't the 8+1 capacity of the Mossberg 890A be more appropriate for a combat situation (i.e. military)? Granted, the Benelli looks like a beautiful gun while the Mossberg looks like it was built by high school students in metal shop, but that aside, what's up?

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

Are there no semi-auto shottys that have the same 6+1 or greater capacity as the cheapo Mossberg? (I don't mean that nastily, it's just 'cheaper' and all business with little style.)

[I think I found my own answer on Benelli's forums. Seems the issue has to do with old laws against importing shotguns with more than a 5 shot capacity. Whether that applies now or not, I don't know. Benelli folk seem content to get after-market extenders it would seem.]

Last edited:

BigJimP

There is one reason to consider the M-4 over the M1 - the M4 has less recoil ...and if you're shooting heavy defensive loads / that can be very significant.

None of the responders said the M-4 isn't reliable ....you need to use ammo in it, at around 1225 fps to get it to cycle reliably. If you use a slower shell - it doesn't cycle the action reliably. The M-1 is no different / nor are most of Benelli's Inertia guns / they won't cycle shells that have velocities less than 1225 fps reliably either.

Its an apples to oranges comparison / one is inertia operated / one is gas operated. Both are very good guns. If you're shopping on a budget - go the M-1 route ( just realize, it will have more recoil than the M-4 ). If you can afford it / and you want one of the best tactical shotguns on the market - then go with the M-4.