Benelli m1 super 90 for skeet?

Peter Gun

I am considering getting a benelli m1 super 90 for home defense, but i was wondering if it is at all usable as an occaisional skeet gun. The catalog says they have extended choke tubes for that model. Would that make it doable? what choke pattern would be best. My shotgun experience is limited to a few outing w/ a rem 870.
Also I shot slugs (2-3/4) from the 870 and found them to have very heavy recoil- how much does an auto soften that up? I don't think I would be very effective w/ slugs in an 870. Thanks for your input, sorry if this is a really dumb idea.

Kernel

Excellent shotgun. For most shooters it'll be fine for skeet. However, because of it's light weight you're not going to see many hardcore sheet shooters using Benellis. Light weight equals higher felt recoil, a significant factor when you shoot the massive quantities gamers shoot. Conventional wisdom says Benellis are better suited for hunting. -- Kernel

bamf

I agree with Kernel, but I would get a longer barrel with a vented rib, I suppose you could shoot skeet with a short barrel and rifle sites but thats certainly not the ideal circumstance.

Another factor to consider in recoil other than weight is that if you look at pumps, O/U, single shot shotguns all the recoil force is directed to your shoulder softened by pads etc. But in automatics some of the force is directed to retract the bolt and put in the new cartridge in the case of the benelli, its an inertia recoil bolt system so there will be reduced felt recoil but not as much as say a Rem 1100 or Beretta 391 which is a gas operated recoil which reduces recoil significantly.

Also take a look at posts from our resident recoil reducing expert, Dave McC, for some ideas to reduce recoil.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Resident recoil reducing expert here(G)...

First, slugs seem to kick harder whe shot at a stationary target. So do shot loads, even mild ones. During the excitement of a hunt, I never note the kick. Shooting clays,alla same.

As for that Benelli, it'll definitely work for skeet, tho not the best choice as a pure D skeet gun. But if it's your go to gun, shoot it as much as you can afford. Learn the weapon by shooting same.

In your shoes, and if dedicated to the idea of that Benelli, I'd use an oz of 9s for skeet, get a premium recoil pad, and use a vest with some padding. Or, a PAST style wearable pad.

A short bbl with a bead works well for skeet and HD. Use as open a choke as you can. And shoot low gun,getting s consistent and fast mount is important in "Serious" shotgunning and recreation too.

Any other questions, please sing out. The only dumb questions are those that do not get asked...