Benelli "click"

bamaranger

I was watching a YouTube video the other night and a hunter had a big gobbler get away. He lined up on the bird and "click", failure to fire. Later it was stated and explained at some length that the Benelli's were infamous for getting knocked out of battery fairly easily, and failing to fire as a result.

Never heard of this........but have heard a ton of comment regarding the Benelli and it's stellar reliability. I kinda thought the dude may not have loaded his gun!!! Any substance to the Benelli "click"?

zoomie

It's a real thing. Usually happened to me when I tried to ease the bolt into battery instead of letting it slam home. Never had one get knocked out once it was there though.

NoSecondBest

Owned seven Benelli shotgun (still do own a couple) and never had a problem. This is operator error....someone tried to “sneak” the bolt closed. Not a great idea with a rotating bolt.

bamaranger

likely

"Sneaking" the bolt closed may well be the truth, though the subject stated he thought he had bumped it while scrambling up a creek bank.

Video was of fellow floating a kayak for spring gobblers, calling occasionally. They struck a bird and scrambled ashore to call. I'm betting they were not loaded while afloat, or at least did not have a round chambered 'till they got ashore and set up. Guy sure could call. I have lost gobblers to a lot of reasons......not that one, yet. I did fail to load the gun one afternoon.........but nothing showed!!!!!

FITASC

The "Benelli Click" is when the bolt accidently comes out of battery and the trigger is pulled. The hammer strikes the back of the bolt body and not the firing pin. The result is a gun that does not fire, but makes a noise when the hammer hits the bolt body and the magazine release is set off and a shell is released (If rounds in the magazine).

It can happen to other brands and designs, but is most common in Inertia opearted models with a rotary bolt face. The best way around having it not happen is to be aware of the possible issue. You can use the Wolffe +25% spring to help reduce it some. It won't eliminate it though, andit makes the action a little stiffer and even less reliable with lighter loads.

I had a habit of easing the bolt closed on my guns, but had to break that habit on my M2... let that Benelli slam shut.

I agree completely. Learned that real quick swapping duck loads out for goose loads and easing the bolt shut.

some quotes from another site

amd6547

My Beretta 1201FP is basically a Benelli M1S90, sharing the same bolt. Now, I’ve never eased the bolt closed, I’ve always racked it hard or used the bolt release. It has never clicked. All it has ever done is feed, fire, and eject.

FAS1

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 field 12GA that is my all-around shotgun and I haven't experienced the "click". Mainly shot skeet with it.

I also have a Beretta 1201FP for home defense. Have shot many shotgun steel plate side matches with it in the past and never had an issue with it either.

Lima Oscar 7

I always load the first round in my M2 by inserting a shell into an empty chamber with the bolt retracted and then let it slam home as violently as possible. It took me a couple of those Benelli Clicks for me to get with the program.