Benelli bolt release question

hotcha45

I have an M2 benelli (super black eagle II). It points & swings well for me. However, the small bolt release button on the side I find to be a pain (literally). After a couple rounds of skeet I've got a numb spot on the tip of my thumb that is just clearing up after a couple of weeks. Anyone make a replacement or spreader for that button to ease the amount of force required to work the release?
Or do I just need to suck it up and learn to enjoy a sore thumb?

zippy13

Have you tried using your middle finger instead of your thumb? (The trigger finger should be used only for the trigger.)

BigJimP

There must be something making yours abnormally hard to press ... All I can say is on my Benelli Super Sports its not an issue ( even my 14 yr old granddaughter can operate the bolt release ...) :D

I'm assuming you've taken the gun apart / made sure there isn't any debris in there .. cleaned and lubed everything ..??

Before you go to another button / ask around among the other guys shooting Benelli's and compare the pressure it takes to activate your bolt vs other guns ...it might give you a clue ...as to what's wrong...

hotcha45

This is a brand new gun. The two rounds of skeet I mentioned are the first shells ever fired through it. Another shooter uses a Benelli, and it is equally tough. Impossible to work just by pressure alone. I'd have to use a big pair of pliers He clued me to 'stab' the release and that at least gets it it to work but at the cost to my thumb. Gotta get a larger release, or get rid of the effin' thing.
In the thread Jim Watson pointed me towards, anyone know what release is shown in the pic M1014 posted? May not work any better than the Nordic, but pretty cool looking. Midway USA has the Nordic, I may just get that.
Anyone male a wrench to pop the bolt handle? It is supposed to just pop out like a Rem 1100 but I sure can't do it. So far I've resisted the urge to take a set of pliers to it but on the M2 if I can't pop out that handle I can't take it down to clean it.
Oddly enough, there are some Benelli engineers I'd cheerfully strangle. And while I like the way this gun fits me I'd never buy another. Teach me to get a possible replacement for my LH Remmy when it breaks a cheap part (bolt carrier connector) after a mere 35 years.

BigJimP

The bolt handles are just friction fit into the bolt - there is a shoulder on the bolt handle --- and it sticks in pretty tight ( you wouldn't want it to fall out ) / but, no I've never needed a wrench or anything to get the ones out on any of my Benelli's.... Try putting some lube in there ...see if that helps.

On the bolt release / I would try the one that OneOunce suggested ...maybe call them / to make sure it'll fit. There is a spring behind that latch ... I wouldn't just start clipping coils off of it ( unless I had a spare ) ...but I suppose if it really bothered me ...I'd consider it - to lighten it up a little.

Since its a new gun / it may break in over time as well ....although on my guns, I know it wasn't hard on my hands - because I first started shooting the Benelli when I had a fractured shoulder blade and I couldn't shoot my O/U's ...and I have arthritis in my right hand and wrist pretty badly ...and I would have noticed.

But if operating the gun beats up your hand ...talk to your dealer where you bought it or contact Benelli USA and see if they have any suggestions.

I hope you get it fixed...

Jim Watson

what release is shown in the pic M1014 posted?

That is not (originally) a shotgun bolt release. It is an enlarged 1911 magazine catch button. I don't recognize the brand, but there are several on the market. Requires drilling and tapping the factory button... or release.

noyes

Should have got a Beretta ( Angle Port action closure )

t_8162.jpg

Video, Installation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJR_kGw81_w

Sorry i'm not much help.............

hotcha45

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm leaning towards getting the Nordic as it is metal, just not enthused about plastic parts like the Briley apparently is. Since two of the guys on my skeet team like and shoot Benellis I should have tried one of theirs, but I'm a southpaw who generally shoots an ancient LH 1100 and don't like the action opening near my face.
The Benelli so far just has those two poor design features I've run across. I'm sure if I pad a pair of pliers I can yank the bolt handle, just been so disgusted with the gun haven't done it yet (no problem with that on my old Remmy). But that effing bolt release has gotta get modified or I'll take the hellish hit and trade it off. Life's too short to shoot a gun that is painful to operate (O'course, I've got finally healed rips on the back of that thumb from that stupidly designed shell lifter that is too long and has sharp edges, but I found a way around that by pushing it up manually with one hand before starting a shell into the mag with the correct hand. Like I said, cheerfully strangle......

Jim Watson

There is a rumor or at least urban legend that the Italian equivalent of our Fish and Game departments hates automatic shotguns and since they couldn't keep them out, required that they be more trouble to load.

zippy13

Jim Watson said:
There is a rumor or at least urban legend that the Italian equivalent of our Fish and Game departments hates automatic shotguns and since they couldn't keep them out, required that they be more trouble to load.
Jim, you may be being too kind. I suspect it's more of a case of the Italian government hating the idea of guns in the hands of civilians. I suspect the "button" requirement is to make shotgun operation more cumbersome than necessary veiled as a safety feature. IIRC, Italy also prohibits private ownership of hand guns in military calibers. This is the reason the 9x21mm IMI pistol cartridge was developed.

oneounceload

Zippy- MOST of the EU prohibits military cartridges in civilian guns - which is why the 9X21, and 9X23 are popular.

As to the semi situation over there - another reason why the Beretta UGB came about - it gave the recoil reduction of the semi with the break-action visibility required by International shooting requirements