benefits of a shorter eye relief?

Norrick

I was holding my scopes today, and I put one to each eye. I was trying to compare the crosshair thickness. One had a 4 inch eye relief and the other had a 3 inch eye relief. Besides going cross-eyed, I noticed that the sight picture in one was substantially larger than the other.

I generally assumed that longer eye relief was better because it is easier to mount on a rifle with a two piece base (you can only move it so far back before you run out of adjustment) and of course the whole recoil thing where the scope wont give you a black eye.

Anyway I am using these scopes for rimfire so recoil is not an issue. This is what I noticed: The scope with the shorter eye relief provided a larger image through the scope. This makes sense if you think about it (your hand in front of your face looks bigger than your hand outstretched in front of you).

Now since your eye has a finite number of rods and cones (receptor cells in the retina), would it be safe to assume that the shorter eye relief would allow you to resolve more detail (given equal quality optics, magnification, etc)?

Basically the way I came to this conclusion is I was trying to make a scope cam, and the camera is wide angle so when you line it up, only the center portion of the image captured is the view through the rifle scope (the rest is just a blurry image of the knobs, rifle action, and surroundings). When the same camera is used in a telescope (very short eye relief), nearly the entire image captured shows the view through the scope. Now of course it has a higher magnification, but the point is that more pixels are recording useful information. The pixels are like the cells in the retina for the previous example. If you compare two scopes with equal optics/magnification but with different eye relief, the one with the shorter eye relief is going to show you the same image spread across more cells in your retina, thus giving the image a higher resolution.

Does this make sense to any of you? Are there any flaws in my logic? The one thing I am wondering is if eye relief is a function of the optics (i.e. exit pupil is determined by objective diameter divided by magnification). Admittedly, the two scopes I compared were not the same magnification range or objective size. If eye relief is determined by some optical equation and cannot be "set" or manipulated to a desired value then I think this would blow my whole theory out of the water.

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
More pixels = more information = Good.

Shorter eye relief can = bloused eyebrow = Bad.

Life is full of compromises.

jephthai

Don't get short just to be short. Check your mounting options and make sure you can get your cheek weld in the right spot with it mounted. I have a couple that are not quite right, and it makes me quite uncomfortable to contort myself just right to get to a doable configuration. Even then, though, I can't control the shakes as well because it's just not natural.

-Jephthai-

fisherman66

Short eye relief = wider field of view (FOV) given every else equal. I prefer a lower power scope with a long eye relief scope for similar FOV and greater margin of error with cheek placement.

TX Hunter

I am glad someone likes short eye relief scopes.
I for one, will not even look at a scope with less than four inches.
When I am thinking about gettiing a scope, that is the main thing I look for.

Gunplummer

Try a tip off scope with short eye relief, that way you can get matching black eyes like my brother-in-law did. If I remember correctly, he cut a ring in the center of his forehead trying to use the open sights with those real high see- through mounts on his .35 Marlin too. I like short eye relief since I started wearing bifocals, but it is definitely not for everybody.

James R. Burke

Just myself I like the shorter, but go what looks the best just bringing the rifle up if there is room to play with. I know my cousin likes his long. I think he got hit with one, being in a bad position. I guess it's not funny but it was from a .243 so he got joked around with it alot. When your shooting at a big game animal or you dont have much time some times you just forget. I never had it happen but know I came close and lucky a few times.

jmr40

I cannot think of any good reason to choose a scope with shorter eye relief. All other things equal of course.