Benchmark 1 and 2.

mrawesome22

I've been looking at a few burn rate charts and I see they have Benchmark 1 and Benchmark 2 listed. Anyone know what the deal with this is?

I'm guessing Hodgdon changed the formulation at some point, but how do I know which formulation I have?

castnblast

Crap...That's scarry...I'm getting ready to buy another can. I was hoping to not have to jack w/ the whole work up thing again...That's why I went w/ that powder in the first place...I qoute them "Consistant lot to lot tollerances"...BTW, your advice last year was right on...My 50gr. Speers are deadly accurate...36.0 gr. Benchmark. 3/8"-1/2" groups...3913-3917fps (chrono) 22-250 for those of you who didn't see the posts last year...It was a discussion of 1:14 twists.

mrawesome22

Glad to hear it's workin' out for you castnblast. I've looked at a couple charts and saw where Benchmark 1 and Benchmark 2 is listed, with H322 right in the middle of them. I've tried google but have come up empty so far. I think I'm gonna give Hodgdon a call Monday and try to get some answers.

This is starting to get frustrating.

629 shooter

Yeah I would like to hear what they have to say? I decided to try Benchmark earlier this year for the .223 and it has given me some of the best accuracy results ever and with match bullets of 52, 55 and 69 grains. I still like H322 as well , especially for the 69s.

castnblast

I like it as much as H4895, but, it meters SO much better...MA22, I'm working at the ranch monday getting things ready for hunting season...Can you post what you find out about 1&2 for us tomorrow as soon as you here something? Thanks.

mrawesome22

Sure will castnblast. Got Hodgdons phone number saved in my cellular phone and I'll call them tomorrow on my lunch.

So, hopefully I can get a hold of someone with some answers. I'll let you all know what I hear tomorrow.

mrawesome22

Sorry for the long responce time, but I started a new job and have been really busy. Anyway, I talked to Mike at Hodgdon, and he said that Benchmark 1 was a different formulation but was never sold in the United States. He said Benchmark 2 is the only one that has ever been sold in the U.S. He said "If you have ever bought Benchmark in the U.S. it is Benchmark 2".

Then I asked him what the loads on their website were based on. He said "If you are logged on from an IP adrress that shows you are in the U.S., only the loads for Benchmark 2 are shown."

So if you buy a can of Benchmark in the U.S., it is Benchmark 2.

I sure was glad I was using the right data and powder! LOL Happy shooting.