Benching with a sand bag

700cdl

I enjoy shooting long range groups, but unless one can find a way to stabilize the rifle effectively, the groups become more a scattered 2" or 3" area, if your lucky. I've tried shooting with different systems including expensive commercial ones, and some I've constructed at home. After many years of searching, I've arrived at a simplistic and inexpensive way to produce consistent tight groups that I would like to share with all of you. What I do is use a large sand bag placed on my tail gate, or any good stable platform. Then I loosen the sling on my rifle enough to be pulled forward of the forearm portion of the stock a foot or so. Then I tie a nylon cord or other high memory cord, something that has little or no stretch, to the sling. At the end of the cord I tie another sand bag of about 10 lbs. and allow it to hang off the edge of my platform, but not touch the ground. I've found by doing this, it not only mimimizes the recoil, but more importantly, it pulls the rifle down onto the sand bag under the stock whcih creates a nce stabil system. Placing a small sand bag over the top of the rifle will also stabilize the rifle, but it can also change the accuracy of the weapon because of the weight on top of the barrel. So now when I want to enjoy punching paper with impresive groups I use this set up. Anyone who shoots long range targets knows just how difficult it is to make a determination of what the rifle is capable of producing. Obviously, sighting in a rifle is just as difficult to accomplish when we can't get a super stabilized set up to shoot from. So I hope this concept will provide some resolve for those of you who have grown tired of sore shoulders and iffy groups.
" When seconds count, the police are only a few minutes away "

Tom Matiska

Big step toward better groups would involve deleting the word "tailgate". Vehicles rock in a slight breeze and make a bad rest.

I've had some interesting discussions with hardcore benchrest shooters about which type of sand to put in the bag.... play sand(more like ball bearings) mortar sand(sharper corners to the grain, but one properties vary with humidity).... etc... I'll have to take their word for it.... none of that matters off a tailgate.

jimbob86

Short of a bench and Lead Sled/sandbags, I find that I am stable enough to shoot my best groups (1 1/4" groups at 100 yards) with just a pair of Stoney Point sticks, a military sling, and a good sitting position. A big plus is that the sticks are a whole lot easier to hump around than two sand bags....... just sayin' ........

4runnerman

I bench rest shoot only off a home made wooden box with two slots cut in it. I am only shooting a 223,but have no issues keeping tight groups. Im sure with a bigger gun that would not be the case though. This is a 200 yard 5 shot group. I have been able to repeat this many times after countless different load test i found this one. 75 gn A-max,24 gn RL-15 ,Rem 7 1/2 primer and a COL of 2.475DSC00116pp.jpg

Last edited:

jhenry

Weirdly enough, the best no frills sand bag I ever used was one of those big dudes used to hold temporary highway signs down in the wind. My youngest brother had one. That and a small bag under the toe of the rifle was golden. I would guestimate the bag weighed 60 or 70 pounds. Wide, deep, and steady on a good bench. I wish I had one myself. I keep looking for a beat up abandoned one to take home.

BIG P

I use a heavy duty camera tripod with a 12'' cut of pvc pipe cut in half with rubber lining fitted to the tripod works great for hunting & shootin groups 3lbs. sling & all.

smoakingun

Huh? That seems like a bunch of work for not a whole lot of gain. Why not get off the truck and on the ground where you, your sandbag, and therefore your rifle can be their most stable. Go one better, learn to use a loop sling and bypass the sandbag all together:D

5RWill

I used to put my sand bag on my low profile toolbox on my truck and shoot. But My favorite position and by far the most stable in my opinion is prone. I can take my 700 5R and shoot much better with my bipod and using my left arm as a rear support than just setting it on a sand bag and having at it. A bipod and a rear support are enough in some cases. Now granted this is bench shooting we're talking about, there are other solutions but i don't mind using those.

I have my own 300 yard rifle & pistol range... I keep a bucket of newer cotton ( over the calf ) socks filled with sand ( 10 or 12 ) in the bucket with a snap on lid... I can usually get pretty good groups, the socks are somewhat stretchy, so they conform well when stacked up...

as long as I can remember not to to blow holes in them with my magnum revolvers :eek:

700cdl

Hey there Jhenry,
Funny you said that. I was actrually referirng to those sand bags. I've tried all kinds of sand bags and those are really stable and do produce excellent stability!

700cdl

I've used bipods, tripods, shooting systems of various sorts, and shot from prone too. But my best groups happened when I used the highway sign sand bags on my roof or tail gate. Now I get what I've long strived for with regard to consistency and accuracy. I liked the lead sled, but its a hassle to get set up and very expensive too. My process is for the guy who wants to avoid an expensive system that requires a bunch of heavy lead.

Win_94

Thanks for reminding me!

I blew-up my plastic sand bag a few days ago and was using an old one with too much sand in it to be as stable as I like.

So I made myself a few new ones to try; made from bicycle inter-tubes.
tubesandbag.jpg

Cowboy_mo

I made the only sand bags I've ever had out of old blue jeans.

Cut the legs whatever length you want and wherever you want. I did one from the thigh area about 12 inches long and then a second from the calf area about the same length. Sew one end shut, fill with sand and sew the other shut. They work great......

:rolleyes: I may have learned this trick on this forum. It was either here or one of the hunting magazines.

PawPaw

Cowboy_mo said:
I made the only sand bags I've ever had out of old blue jeans.

Yup, me too. Except instead of sand, I used crushed walnut media, like some of you use to clean cases. I get my media at the pet store, where it's sold as lizard bedding.

Rifleman1776

I've used sand bags but prefer a sturdy, solid rest like a chunk of wood or a factory made rest. Currently I use a lightweight adjustable rest and don't like it.

Scorch

FWIW, Midway sells an excellent bag (for those who don't mind not using old socks and "inter-tubes") called a Tackdriver. They even sell it already filled with sand, if you like. Now mind you, it isn't quite the same as shooting off an old sock or a cupla tubafors set on your truck's tailgate, but it is a rock-solid shooting bag.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=264776
I have one of their older models called a Bull Shooter, and it is a great shooting bag (a little heavy because of the sand, but a great rest) and comes with a shoulder strap to carry it to where you will be shooting (or your truck's tailgate, whichever).

There are other bags from other makers, but pretty much the same idea:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=731506
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=998131
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=292666

Bogie

You want your rifle to be able to move -consistently- under recoil. The "sleds," and similar things don't work all that well, and bipods REALLY suck.

Sandbag under the front, and take off the sling stud if you have one. It'll "bump."

Sandbag under the stock on the back, but so it can slide freely.