Belted magnum nickel-plated brass

stagpanther

I shoot quite a few of larger capacity magnums (a very expensive habit considering how fast that eats powder).

Recently I've been shooting 7mm STW in both conventional brass as well as nickel coated brass. It may be purely a coincidence--but I've noticed that generally the nickel-plated brass doesn't get the same expansion ahead of the belt that conventional brass cases do. Everything seems easier--reloading, chambering etc.

Anyone else experience this with big belted magnums?

Marco Califo

No experience with it, but, Where are you getting that nickle belted Magnum brass?
I have a 300 WM, but only regular brass.

stagpanther

No experience with it, but, Where are you getting that nickle belted Magnum brass?
Special order from Quality Cartridge--it may take a while for the fella to get around to it--but if he lists it he will make it.

Paul B.

The only nickel plated brass I use is Winchester's .280 Rem. that I picked up at a gun show. I'd just had a custom built in .280 REm. and brass was about unobtainium. Found a couple hundred rounds at a gun show that was new, unfired so bought all he had. It's held up well with over five reloads so far and all is well. Load dies 2910 FPS with the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam, the older two core version with excellent accuracy. No use posting data unless someone has a supply of WMR powder and deeds data. I have lots so that's what I use. It's great in the .270 Win., .280 Rem. and .300 Win. Mag but does not work in the 30-06. Even Winchester only shows data for 200 and 220 gr. bullet and the loads are puny with low pressure figures. :(
Paul B.

Sevens

I have a slew of once-fired .223 brass in nickel and it's gorgeous brass but I haven't done anything with them yet. I'm wondering if anyone seeks something like this specifically.

std7mag

I have some nickel cases for my 7mm Rem Mag.
Haven't really noticed a difference in sizing.
I use Dillon resizing lube and a Q-Tip.

old roper

stagpanther, I have some nickel 7mag brass and fire form few for my Lilja barrel 30-338mag. I may clean up necks see what happens.

Scorch

Typically I'm doing loads of around 80 grs +/-
Yes, it will go through powder very quickly. I used to own a 8mm Rem Mag, and it took about a bucket of H450 for each case (facetiously, but you know what I mean).
these are very close to 375 H&H dimensions.
And rightly so. 7mm STW was developed using 8mm Remington Magnum brass, and 8mm Remington Magnum was developed with 375 H&H brass.

stagpanther

What is the difference in case wall thickness a quarter inch in front of the belt?
Good question--but I'll have to wait until one becomes unserviceable before cutting one in half--the cases alone cost me about $5.00 a pop.

reynolds357

I shoot quite a few of larger capacity magnums (a very expensive habit considering how fast that eats powder).

Recently I've been shooting 7mm STW in both conventional brass as well as nickel coated brass. It may be purely a coincidence--but I've noticed that generally the nickel-plated brass doesn't get the same expansion ahead of the belt that conventional brass cases do. Everything seems easier--reloading, chambering etc.

Anyone else experience this with big belted magnums?
I would say it's due more to brass quality than anything else.

ocharry

hi stagpanther

i dont want to hijack your thread but i have a question about the 7stw

a friend has one and he ask if i could reload some shells for him and i said i would if we can find the stuff to do it with

so what kind of primers do you suggest?? magnum or standard??

and you have some favorite powders im sure..i have a couple rl19 and h4831 that i think could work

any guidence for this boom stick would be appreciated

ocharry

stagpanther

hi stagpanther

i dont want to hijack your thread but i have a question about the 7stw

a friend has one and he ask if i could reload some shells for him and i said i would if we can find the stuff to do it with

so what kind of primers do you suggest?? magnum or standard??

and you have some favorite powders im sure..i have a couple rl19 and h4831 that i think could work

any guidence for this boom stick would be appreciated

ocharry
No sweat--glad to (try to) help.;)

I have maybe 15 actual 7mm STW cases--the rest I made from 375 H&H since 7mm STW is very hard to find these days. I ordered my Shilen barrel through NSS it it came with a match chamber. The reason I mention this is the 375 H&H is highly tapered so it took me a few firings to find the "sweet spot" for my particular rifle. Bart B turned me on to the Larry Willis belted magnum head sizer which can take out the expansion sometimes found just ahead of the belt--I recommend getting one of those if you don't already have one, it's useful across most all belted magnums. My expansion issues went away for the most part once I got my cases formed to my chamber.

I'm not an expert by any stretch on the The 7mm STW since I've only been shooting it for a year or so and don't shoot it much nowadays for the simple reason is a cavernous case and will eat your powder supply up quickly (not to mention burn the throat) if shot frequently. I've had very good results with H1000 driving 183 gr matchkings. Just my personal opinion--but I'm far more worried about loads on the minimum end of the scale than the max because that makes a hangfire more likely. I personally have never used anything other than magnum primers for the 7mmSTW.

ocharry

thanks stag

yeah i kinda figured this thing was gona be a powder hog

he says he has the once fired brass from his gun so that shouldnt be a problem i hope, and im not sure what weight bullet he will want to use, but he is using this cannon for white tail deer....way over kill in my book but hey its his circus

i dont know how many rounds have been down the pipe, but i think once apon a time he told me the rifle started life as a 7mm rem mag and he had it rechambered to this. i guess that dont really matter because the cases he is gona have came from that chamber....we will see ..lol

i did get a good deal on a set of hornady dies for him...24 bucks shipped...i thought i was lucky just to find them and then i stoll them

thanks satgpanther

guess i should see if i have some magnum primers for him too...my guess is we aint gona find any layin around ..lol

ocharry

stagpanther

It's an attractive cartridge for those who want to reach WAY out there for their game, but like others in it's class it's a barrel-burner and not especially efficient when adding additional powder toward the top end of the load range. I generally only shoot one load weight test group at a time when developing and give generous time between shots. My guess is that you'll have erratic pressures using regular primers.

ocharry

oh i agree, i was leaning to mag primers anyway....that is a lot of powder in these things to touch off

and i am sure if you push this thing, it will be a throat burner disintegrator for sure...maybe take a shot a day...lol and that may not save it

but if he only is using it for hunting and maybe a couple shots a year or season then it could last him for a long time

i have a regular 7mag...i love to hear it go off...more of a controled explosion than a regular rifle crack, i have shot a couple white tails with it..lol and a few coyotes as well but it sits in the safe most all the time these days..prolly should sell it

after i got my 6.5 manbun....b^tchnott gun and got it worked up, thats about all i have used for the last few years...i did build a 6.5 grendel this spring and i thought about using it this fall but i havent had time to get the 120gr bullets flying like i want them too...lol....to many irons in the fire....its ok and prolly good enough for deer but i know it will do better..got a 95gr bullet working good oh yes it is working good..lol...and the 120 will get there ....dang i fell into that rabbit hole...sorry

looks like the dies are out for delivery today so im gona see if i can get some brass for this thing and maybe get things rolling on this

ocharry

stagpanther

gona see if i can get some brass for this thing and maybe get things rolling on this
If you find some let me know where. Though really making it from 375 H&H is not hard to do and works just fine.

ocharry

Well I hope I don't have to buy any..he said he was keeping the brass he fired and is supposed to tell me how many he has later when he gets home

Ocharry