Belt Mountain Base Pins

Shadi Khalil

Hello all. The resurrection of the Belt Mountain Base Pin Review got me wondering. Would a .357 New Vaquero benefit from the instillation of a Belt Mountain Base Pin? I know they are great for the .44 as such but what about the .357?

texagun

If the pin backs out under recoil, the answer would be yes. You also might want to replace the spring.

If the OEM pin is working OK, the answer would be no. If it's not broke, don't "fix" it.

The #5 Belt Mountain pin does make it somewhat easier to get a grip on the pin for removal. If that would benefit you, the answer would be yes.

Gunn Smithy

If you do get the #5 Belt Mountain pin, be sure to ask for the one with the "Bowen Lock" and installation kit. Instead of the set screw binding into the barrel (sometimes causing the base pin to bend and alter cylinder rotation), it has a set screw that mates with a small hole drilled into the barrel. No binding and absolutely no horizontal movement. The kit makes it a breeze to install. I've done two now and it's worth the ticket price. Smithy.

rclark

Or like I do, I've got 3 #5s and I just don't use the set-screw.... No need for the standard-medium loads...

madcratebuilder

If the OEM pin is working OK, the answer would be no. If it's not broke, don't "fix" it.

This. I installed a Belt Mountain pin in my SBH a few years ago after about 5K rounds. The .357 and .45 BH's don't seem to loosen up like the .44mag does.

rep1954

I have used alot of the Belt Mountain Base pins over time only to take up slop in the cylinder to pin fit. I've always been able to take care the pin backing out with a stronger cross pin spring. I have never owned or ran across any of the new mid size framed Rugers that I felt needed a larger base pin as they are much improved guns over the pre mid size large framed Rugers, at least what was being turned out right before 2005.

longfellow

Accuracy concerns with a tighter base pin

My thinking goes like this (but for the thirty bucks for a new base pin and a borrowed machine rest, you can confirm or deny all of this yourself -which I kind of wish you would do and then I'd be taking YOUR advice);

Any change or rework that tightens up the lock-up should only be done if you intend to bore out and convert a gun to a larger caliber with a smith who line bores your cylinder. This is because the slight bit of 'play' might be necessary because that is the only thing that is currently permitting your gun to shoot well. In other words, you might have slightly out of line chambers which gets corrected because you have play. Take away any of that play and the misalighnment now hurts your accuracy.
Like the previous posters say; work up your loads with commonly accepted practices and safety and see where you are today and go from there.

I couldn't believe how my groups were affected because I was not concentrating on absolute consistency of every aspect of handgun shooting. It is amazing and a fascinating challenge that can take (for me at least) years to meet in order to truly be able to say "This is my potential" and distinguish this from your overall group size which would then give you your gun's potential. Of course you can shortcut this if you need to know today whether or not you have a lemon; just invest in a machine rest I guess.

I personally found that with heavy loads, my base pin was moving because the base pin latch was getting mushroomed. And even here, a stronger base pin latch spring cured that. I do plan however to invest in an aftermarket, hardened base pin latch and that's about it. But my Old Model seems quite accurate, and I have plenty of play in the cylinder but I am not going to do anything about it.
Good luck.

Gunn Smithy

Practical? Not too sure, but they look terrific!! I bought two #5 Keith base pins with the Bowen lock. The pin can not go anywhere and the company sells a kit for installation. Smithy.

Shadi Khalil

Practical? Not too sure, but they look terrific!! I bought two #5 Keith base pins with the Bowen lock. The pin can not go anywhere and the company sells a kit for installation. Smithy.

In all honesty, the way they look is what really got me interested. I figured I'd find out if there were any other benefits to help justify a possible purchase. *

bigghoss

Any change or rework that tightens up the lock-up should only be done if you intend to bore out and convert a gun to a larger caliber with a smith who line bores your cylinder. This is because the slight bit of 'play' might be necessary because that is the only thing that is currently permitting your gun to shoot well. In other words, you might have slightly out of line chambers which gets corrected because you have play. Take away any of that play and the misalighnment now hurts your accuracy.
Like the previous posters say; work up your loads with commonly accepted practices and safety and see where you are today and go from there.

I have read, from a very knowledgeable individual over at rugerforum.net whom I believe works/has worked at ruger, that Ruger intentionally has a small bit of play because they don't line-bore. Line-boring increases production costs so to keep cost down they bore all 6 chambers at once. This is why they had/have some issues with chamber mouths being inconsistent. So as the bullet leaves the chamber and begins to enter the forcing cone that bit of slop allows the chamber to line up with the bore.

Ruger revolvers are very durable but they skimp on the details to make them affordable. I personally find accuracy to be plenty good for my purposes from my 4 5/8ths .45 blackhawk.