Belt and holster for Ruger Blackhawk

Polinese

So I purchased a 4.6 inch Ruger blackhawk in 357. Would love to get my gunslinger on, i'm looking for a leather belt and holster. Hoping to just find something basic I can use to learn drawing it, twirling it and all that jazz before spending hundreds on something real nice.

Any suggestions for a good starter setup?

Hawg

Might as well spend the money on something good to begin with. For fast draw you want a Hollyweird buscadero rig that's really stiff and the gun fits loose in. When you practice twirling do it over something soft.

Hawg said:
Might as well spend the money on something good to begin with. For fast draw you want a Hollyweird buscadero rig that's really stiff and the gun fits loose in. When you practice twirling do it over something soft.
You need to tell us what you expect to use the holster for. Fast draw competitions use one type of holster. Cowboy Action Shooting uses a very different kind of holster. And, of course, twirling doesn't require any kind of holster.

44 AMP

Staff
The shorter barrel Blackhawk in .357 is a poor choice to learn "twirling". The tall front sight and the adjustable rear sight have some nice sharp edges, and they are going to bite. And you are going to drop it, probably often.

I recommend you get one of the metal "non-guns" (metal for the weight) and practice twirling with that, to develop a level of skill, before going to a real gun for showy "stage moves".

I think the Blackhawk is the best SA to use, I own several. But if you're wanting the "authentic" old west look, the Blackhawk is the wrong gun.

A "New Vaquero" is Colt size and Colt shape and is, (or was) available in .357 as well as the traditional .45 Colt.

Can't help with holsters, mine are Hunter (leather, not a cowboy rig) or Uncle Mike's nylon, and are for carry not fast draw games.

gwpercle

I always wanted to learn how to "re-holster" a sixgun the way Alan Ladd does after the big shoot out in the movie " Shane" ... I know it's only a movie ... I saw it in 1954 on the big screen , 6 years old and never forgot that back-spin into the holster ...AWESOME .

Never could get my Ruger Blackhawk back into the first fast-draw rig I bought .
Realized a "fast draw " holster-belt ( hollywood drop loop) combo insn't the best for everyday carry so traded it in on a high riding Bianchi belt holster and Bianchi belt .
Still have the metal lined fast draw rig ... think I'll watch "Shane" again and see if I can pull it off !
Gary