Belgian Hi-Powers, prices look pretty reasonable...

Skans

I just did a search on Gunbroker for C-Series and T-Series Hi-Powers. Boy, prices sure do look reasonable! I'm not going to post the links, since this is not the sales board, and none of them are mine anyway. They are easy enough to look up. $550 for one C-Series and $600 for another C-Series (this one looks really nice!) There's also a T-series listed at $650 which looks more like a good shooter.

I haven't seen prices like these for 7+ years on good Belgian Hi-Powers. If I didn't already have a fine example of a C-Series Hi-Power, I'd be all over these.

Skans

The T-Series Belgian made Hi-Powers made in the 1960's are the most collectible and sought after because there is a perception that they were the best made, most finely finished of any of the Hi-Powers. The C-Series Hi-Powers, made in the early-to-mid 1970's can be just as nice as the T-Series, but not always. I have a 1972 C-Series Hi-Power that has a perfect trigger and ball-bearing-smooth slide operation; I'd never sell it.

I am not trying to say that other Hi-Powers can't be just as good; just that good T-series and C-series Hi-Powers are sought after.

chrisp51

I just bought a brand new standard Hi-power (high polish blued with adjustable sights) at a gun show this past weekend for $850 otd. Problem was no box and only one mag. I found a factory box for $30. The new spring loaded mags are $50 so actual cost was closer to $930.

Skans

You look at the serial numbers. C-Series start with c; T-series start with T. This is for the older Belgian made Hi-Powers. I am no expert on the newer production Hi-Powers.

WVsig

Hi Powers use a date code system: Earlier codes; 1954 to 1964 = 70000 to circa 115823, '64 to '69: T136568 to circa T261000, followed be the introduction of the 2-digit year code and "C". For example, a Hi Power made in 1973 would have a serial number starting "73C…" and so forth.

T series are considered the best of the breed but one should not over pay. Only guns which are unshot or in LNIB are really collectible. The have ring hammers and smaller single side thumb safeties. Sights on these can vary from and smaller half moon sights, adjustable sights and even tangent sights. IMHO people way over pay for these all the time. They are called T series because of the T in the serial number. These came with a black leather pouch lined with sheep skin and true collectors want the original mags box and pouch.

rmtirp.jpg

PA230007.jpg

There are also pre T series guns which have an internal extractor. Like this one.

This is a C series gun but has been customized.... C series guns are excellent and the majority have the classic deep blue finish. They can have half moon fixed, adjustable sights or tangent. Again these are called C series guns because of the C in the serial number. These have a spur hammer. The serial number is on the front of the grip. You can almost make it out in the picture above. For a classic looking Hi Power these are a better value than the T series.

The more modern MKII & MKIII Hi Powers use a date code to determine when they were made. Below is the key to FN dates of manufacture via the serial numbers. Newer Hi Powers are MKIIs or MKIIIs. They come in blue and matte black finishes again with adjustable and fixed sight models available.

Z = 1
Y = 2
X = 3
W = 4
V = 5
T = 6
R = 7
P = 8
N = 9
M = 0

These guns for the most part come with Ambi-safeties and spur hammers. MKIIs where made and assembled in Belgium. MKIIIs are made in Belguim but assembled in Portgual. They have more modern 3 dot sights.

This is a Practical MKIII

Most MKIIIs also have cast frames. All Hi Powers before the MKIII had forged frames. The cast frame is stronger than the forged.

Go on over to the late Stephen Camp's Site for more info....

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HiPowerComments.html

Last edited:

carguychris

I'd like to offer a couple of footnotes to WVsig's post...
T series are considered the best of the breed but one should not over pay. Only guns which are unshot or in LNIB are really collectible.
Very true, and it should be pointed out that many of the inexpensive BHP's currently on GB are former military pistols from Israel or the Middle East. Hallmarks of these guns are French-language slide legends that don't refer to the Browning Arms Company, and matte parkerized or painted finish. Most of these guns are refinished and many incorporate non-original replacement parts.

If you're looking for a low-cost shooter with an interesting historical pedigree, these pistols are the Real Deal, and a bargain in the current market; however, don't expect one of them to ever to approach the value of a high-condition Browning Arms commercial import.
There are also pre T series guns which have an internal extractor.
From a functional standpoint, the external extractor- which was introduced shortly prior to the "T" serial prefix- is considered to be an advantage. The earlier internal extractor works well, but is more difficult and expensive to repair if it breaks, mostly because the supply of spares is much smaller.

(Footnote to footnote: Skans probably already knows all this; my comments are meant for others who stumble upon this thread.) :)

WVsig

Overpriced considering the condition. If you figure $525 + shipping + $25 hand picked plus transfer.

Even a hand picked gun is going to show a fist amount of wear. The last time these popped up they were $500 professionally refinished or about $400 with original finish.

They have little to no collector value because of the import marks. Would be a good base gun for a custom job if you can get it at the right price.

Kevin_d77

I guess that's a good thing then. I certainly don't need anything right now but I have always wanted a Hi-Power and these were advertised as "Rare alloy frame" so it piqued my interest.