Belgian BAR Questions

Quadzilla

I've been looking for a versatile rifle for my daughter to start hunting with, one that she could use for a lifetime.

I had a lever action or bolt gun in mind, but that changed when I came across a lightly used Belgian-made BAR in 30-06 with a nice B&L 3000 scope on it that was a real nice deal. It was taken as a trade at a local dealer and is in super condition.

She's been learning to shoot my Marlin .22 Semi-Auto so the SA action is one that she is familiar with. I think that I can find a soft-firing load that will do the job on whitetail pretty easily, and hope that this gun is versatile enought to handle most any other rifle hunting that we might undertake.

What are the concerns if any with the BAR with regards to durability, accuracy and potential problems?

Does the fact that its a Belgian model make it that much more desireable?

Can you recommend some commercially available, soft firing ammo that would be effective for whitetails?

I'm a long-time reader but a new poster, so I appreciate your input.

Bill

Glock4ever

.30-06 is a bit on the heavy side...

I find that the recoil on the .30-06 can be a bit on the heavy side... that combined with the level of noise that it makes can really turn away a lot of shooters. If you are going to get this for your daughter maybe you should let her actually shoot a rifle in .30-06 before you actually buy it... Also many women tend to have a shorter length of pull and prefer lighter rifles. I don't mean to imply anything about your daughter - she might like the calibre but I would definitely let her try the calibre before buying... otherwise the BAR might have to make another trip back to the store.

Glock4ever

Oh regarding the BAR...

It is an excellent rifle. I have never heard of many problems with them. Get it and enjoy it if the calibre is good.

RevNate

It is an excellent rifle. I have one in .30-06 myself. However, my 5'5" wife has difficulty with the length of pull. Accuracy is not a problem with these rifles. Recoil is also not bad. It is, after all, a heavy autoloader.

Nate

Andrew Wyatt

I think a young un would be better served by a .243 or a .308 bolt gun with a short length of pull, like one of them ruger m77 mk2 compacts, or a suitably shortened savage.