Beginner Range Report

Tallest

After a lot of wind and rain, the weather last evening was finally calm enough to test my first batch of hand loads. (What I mean by that is that these loads are the first I have taken from beginning to end all on my own. I made all the component decisions, I did all the brass clean up and case prep, I set the length, I weighed the powder... If it was part of the process, I did it.)

The current project is a go-to load for groundhogs and coyotes in .223 Rem. I am shooting a Ruger Predator (26944 with AR type mags, which I realized post purchase will limit my overall length vs the standard Ruger American mags) with 1-8" ROT. I've wanted to take advantage of the faster ROT with something a little longer than the usual 223 suspects of 50 and 55 grain bullets. I opted for 60 Nosler ballistic tips, and I am sampling 3 different powders: Benchmark, Varget, and H335.

Given a slightly longer bullet and the fact that the OACL is limited by the magazine size, I loaded at an OACL of 2.263 on average, which was about as long as I could comfortably put them in a 10 rnd magpul mag.

Starting point for loads was a minor quandary in that Lyman and Nosler have significantly different starting point and max for 60 grain 223. I started somewhere between Lyman's base load and Nosler's middle point, and loaded21 of each (weird, I know, but I'm slightly OCD about stuff being divisible by 3), which aloud me (4) test groups of 5 shots with one left over to spec from.

Edited: All groups at 100 yds.

I was underwhelmed by Benchmark groups which averaged 1.4". But I think they could tighten up with higher velocities, which is what I will do for my next session.

H335 was better with the largest of 4 groups measuring at 1.2".

But the Varget took the cake, the best 5 shot group was 0.681". And I'll be honest, I felt like a rock star! There's something extremely satisfying about getting one of your best ever groups from ammunition you built. I see why this is so addictive!

The picture shows the group, which to my eyes looks like 4 shots, but one whole had two bullets pass through it.

The load, which according to Lyman was well below max, was 25.6 Grns Varget with CCI 400 primers. For all of these, I was using chrome plated Winchester brass left over from a friends Ballistic Silvertips. I'm going to start eking up in velocity just a hair at time, and see if they tighten up. Once I get the smallest group I can, I'll have a friend chronograph them as I'm not yet set up for that.

These shots were done on sandbags, but as I get more in the budget, I hope to get a led sled to really eliminate variables.

More to come!

Thanks!

Attachments

• .223trgt040218.jpg
    .223trgt040218.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

hounddawg

nice group. I will suggest avoiding the leadsled. It teaches bad shooting habits, better to teach yourself proper recoil management. I have seen leadsleds in use at the club and am always amazed at how much muzzle jump people get when using one and then they cannot figure out why their groups suck

Try and shoot your load development groups the same way you are planning to shoot the rifle in normal use. I am a bipod user on 2 of my rifles but I do use a Sinclair rest for my F class .260. I use the rest for it because that that is how I shoot it in competition. I may even switch to bipod for it also because I get better recoil management from the bipod than I do my rest. However I will have to rezero my scope because point of impact will change when I switch to bipod

Rifletom

Nice group. Distance? My opinion only, but, I'd skip the "Lead Sled" and keep the sand bags for the front and get a bunny eared rest for the rear. You just get a better feel for your rifle at the bench. You seem to be on the right track tho.

Ha! hounddawg beat me to it as I typed.

Tallest

That's a good point about the leadsled assisting bad habits.

Most of my hunting shots are from a prone position with a bipod, a tree (usually there's a limb available on which to rest), or occasionally from an old picnic table. When I'm at the picnic table, I usually have a sand bag, but perhaps since most are prone, the bipod should be the go to going forward.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Nice shooting.

I concur about the LeadSled... besides that they can ruin scopes, though that's no issue for the .223.

I shoot my best groups (with all guns) prone with a bipod. One with an adjustable but locking front end is nice. Also, excpet that they're inexplicably expensive, I find the rear monopods to be nice. A small sandbag works as well or better though, and honestly my off-hand fist works just fine too.;)

std7mag

I'm with Houndgawg about the Leadsled. I just can't get comfortable behind one.

A 60gr bullet out of a 1:8 twist isn't long. I'm shooting 69gr Matchkings out of my wifes 1:9 twist Savage.
Using Varmint and W748 for 55 gr range fodder and PP2000 for the heavier bullets.

Otherwise keep up the good work, be safe!

Std7mag

Rangerrich99

Nice job. I use the same bullet for my varmint hunting, with a different powder (IMR 8208 XBR). If I do everything right I can get sub 1-inch groups at 200 yards with it. Really like that bullet. Keep us posted.

MagnumWill

I had the same experience with loading with Varget. I loaded up some of the free 55gr SP’s I got from Hornady when my wife got me a reloading kit for Christmas :)

It was super windy that day, but I shot a group with my so-called “range ammo” load and came up with a .66” group. I was not only surprised to do that in greater-than-full-value wind, but the rifle proceeded to shoot sub MOA with all of them.

From that point on, I was freed from impulse-buying cheap ammo. Life’s too short to “chase zero” on a rifle because you find the cheapest ammo you can possibly get...

NHSHOOTER

I have to agree with what all was said about the "leadsled" sandbags are the way to go both on the forend and the buttstock. Keep up the good work, you are on the right track. I love shooting my 223 bolt guns with my own reloads. I have experimented with many different powders and bullet weights and have several that shoot awsome groups..