Beehive State?

roy reali

Certain states come to mid when certain hunting or gun topics are discussed.

If someone mentions going on an elk hunt, Montana comes to mind. If someone mentions they are going hunting to Wyoming and they mention antelope, it is no surprise. If a bird hunter wants a week of nonstop pheasant shooting, they Google Kansas or South Dakota. Georgia and bobwhite seem to go together like bread and butter. There is even some game that gets mentioned in the same breath with Nevada, a virtual desert.

Once in awhile there is a thread here asking about gun friendly states. Arizona and Texas are often mentioned. Talking about nonfriendly, restrictive gun states and a couple of them are always mentioned.

One state is hardly brought up in hunting or shooting discussions, that state is Utah. I know no one brings up Rhode Island either, but Utah is a large, western state. It borders some other "popular" hunting areas.

I want to here form current or fromer Beehive state residents.

How is Utah for hunting?

How gun friendly is Utah?

chris in va

Considering Utah has one of the best non-res permits and allows CC on school campus, I'd say they're pretty darn friendly.

Sorry can't comment on the second part.:cool:

RETG

Deer and Elk in the Lasal Mountains, just outside Moab; that I know of. Probably great hunting up in the mountains sorrounding SLC too.

(For Deer Hunting, MI might be the best, certainly I believe it puts out the highest number of hunters, or at least 2nd or 3rd if not the highest.)

As for CC in Utah, like the other guy said. A person with a permit can carry into a school, college students with permits can carry in state supported schools.

Carry a loaded weapon in the car without a permit. Carry open with or without a permit (without required a two-action away from firing - means with a semi a full mag, but nothing in the chamber).

FrankenMauser

Definitely a gun friendly state. There are anti-gun bills drawn up each year in the legislature, but very, very few get through. (I blame all the ##$ holes that have moved here from Kalifornia, Illinois, and the east coast.)

Hunting is... well... not as good as it used to be. Too many hunters after the 'prized' tags. Whether it's deer, elk, or antelope; expect a 5-10 year wait for good hunting units. (up to 15 years for the highly desireable units)

Probably great hunting up in the mountains sorrounding SLC too

If you bow hunt; yes. If you hunt with a rifle or muzzleloader; no. Most of the mountains within 40 miles of SLC are: private land, closed forest service land, or archery only.

Utah has also expanded its WMA program quite a bit. It's a good thing for people with money to throw around. It's a bad thing for those of us hunting on public lands. All the property barons around here are snapping up all the forest service land they can get, to expand their WMAs and effectively cut off access to much of the public lands. (The forest service only has to require access to public land, across private land, if they want to. It's not a guaranteed right, and they often choose to 'close' the land next to WMAs close to SLC.)

If you hunt 'rifle deer', expect the mountains to look like rush hour in Chicago. You'll see more people in 5 minutes than the total population of most suburban neighborhoods.

We have some amazing trophy antelope in many parts of the state. However, every one of those units is limited entry, and most have a 15 year wait. (You must accumulate 'bonus points' to have enough chances of drawing the tag. In Utah, the maximum is 15; at 1 per year.)

Elk can be found everywhere. The good units are limited entry. (I hope you like to wait.) The decent units sell out the day tags go on sale. (I hope you have internet access, or like to wait in line a 5:00 am.) The less desireable, but acceptable units fall into two classes:
1. Units with low populations or rugged terrain; therefore undesirable to most hunters. These tags still sell out, but you'll work your ass off to bag the animal.
2. Units where the only over-the-counter option is a 'Spike Only' tag. Yea... you'll spend 3 weeks in the mountains, staring at beautiful 6x6 trophies and cows, only to walk away without seeing a single 'spike' elk.

If you like birds, there is some good duck hunting in a few parts of the state.

Pine Chickens (Blue and Grey Grouse, I believe) are plentiful in the mountains, and very tasty. Last time I checked, the bag limit was still a healthy 8 per person.
Prarie Chickens (Sage Grouse) used to be amazingly plentiful here, but the numbers have dwindled. They are only available as a limited-entry game animal. If you are lucky, you'll draw one tag. Wyoming is a better choice.

Furbearers are easy to come by, and many 'nuisance' animals are considered furbearers in Utah. (Spotted and Striped skunk, mink, several marmots, ferrets, foxes, coyotes in certain areas, beaver, badger, etc...)

Prarie Dogs are a tricky one. Most of the prarie dog populations in Utah are only huntable on a seasonal basis; the timing of which, is pretty crappy. (Partly due to the endangered Black Footed Ferret, which feeds on helpless prarie dog pups.) There are also 3-5 species of prarie dog that are protected or endangered. The locations of some of these dogs can be difficult to get to, as well. (Private land access issues, seasonal road closures, no roads, etc..) Wyoming is a better choice for dog poppin'.

The fun ones are Jack Rabbits, Cotton Tails, and the ground squirrels. (Most tree squirrel species, in Utah, are protected. Some are endangered.) Jacks and ground squirrels can be taken any time, by anyone. Cotton Tails only require a small game license. (Included in the new 'combination license'.)

Hope this helps.

FrankenMauser

Considering Utah has one of the best non-res permits and allows CC on school campus, I'd say they're pretty darn friendly.

I agree that it is nice to be able to carry on campus, but it gets a bit tricky. Any school that receives state money has to allow CC.
But... Most Universities and Colleges are made up of degree-specific 'Colleges'. These degree-specific colleges are usually housed in their own facilities, even if on the same campus. By manipulating the books, they can effectively ban CC in certain areas; by claiming that no state money went to that facility.

There is also the student 'code of conduct' that must be agreed to, to attend the institution. By stating that students are not allowed to carry concealed; they are able to ban CC by students, without violating the law. Guests can still CC, but not students.

I am currently attending one of the state funded colleges. By registering for classes, I agreed to the code of conduct. In the code of conduct for my school, there is a clause stating that my records will have a permanent hold placed on them if I ever use my CC weapon on campus. (Even if it saves lives.)
The school thinks their super-duper lockdown policy is better than an armed defender. It's a tough call: Use my weapon, and lose 2 years of school? Or hide like a frightened hamster, and hope for the best?

Even though the state says we can carry; the schools disagree.

Don H

FrankenMauser,

I am on a Utah CC forum that has many student members from various colleges and universities. None have mentioned restrictions such as you have cited, even though some students open carry on campus. As a matter of fact, UVU College Republicans are hosting Concealed Firearm Permit classes on October 7 and/or 8th from 6-10 PM in room #213b of the Student Center on the UVU Orem Campus. Which campus are you on?

By the way, you are cordially invited to join the UCC forum listed in my signature and discuss the issues you brought up here. We have members who have actively, and successfully, worked to correct unlawful governmental restrictions in several locations. I'm sure they would be willing to help address your issues.

elkman06

Utah hunting,

Must not be very good..they seem to be infusing into Wyoming. Kinda like our fishing must be better..I guess anyway.
Actually, every Utah hunter I have met has complained about the lack of public land, hard to draw tags, etc.
elkman06

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Sawtooth National forest area, white tail, mule deer, elk, boar and all the birds you can stand. An old navy buddy of mine lives there and it would take a mighty big reason to get him to move away.