beding a mannlicher stock

scouter27

i recently picked up a m77 mk1 rsi in '06. is there any way to get the stock bedded? could i do it myself? i have some experience with resins, so i think im up for it if its like doing a regular stock.

otherwise, anyone out there make a nice synthetic or maybe laminate stock with the full handguard?

ogree

Usually, mannlicher stocks affect accuracy due to the muzzle cap contacting the barrel therby creating a pressure point when it gets warm from firing the weapon. Although I have always liked the look of these stocks, they are not my choice when it comes to accurizing a rifle cause of the problems with barrel contact. That is why a person beds a rifle in the first place.......accuracy.
It is not impossible though to achieve an accurate rifle with a mannlicher stock, it just requires a lot more work and attetion to some details.
You would start by bedding the action as normal, after that was done, free float the barrel on out to the fore end cap. The cap would have to be firmly attacked to the stock and the clearance hole for the barrel would have to be opened up as to prevent it from contacting the barrel. I've seen some mannlicher stocked rifles that have wood on top of the barrels as well and these would have to be attached to the stock as well and yet be removable in order to allow for dis-assembly. they would also have to be modified so no contact with the barrel was present, the stock, out near the muzzle will end up quite thin and will flex under pressure when using a bench rest due to the weight of the rifle so this will have to be taken into account when determining the amount of gap when floating the barrel as will any downward pressure applied to the fore end via the use of a sling.
There are many ideas about pressure points in the fore end being a benefit or a hinderance. I have bedded a great many rifle in my time and have found only one that required a pressure point in the fore end to make the rifle group better and it was a prototype titanium rifle......titanium just isn't suited well for manufacture of major rifle components.
If you feel confident in your ability, then you are set to proceed. I usually use a product called marine-tex for bedding compound as standard fiberglass resins are not well suited to bed a rifle as I have come to find out. Johnsons paste wax is an excellent release agent as you don't have to apply it very thick at all, just a thin film coating does the trick.
Take a long look at the stock and decide how to proceed before tearing into it, make some notes if necessary just to keep things straight and take your time.
Hope this helps......good luck.

Martyn4802

You might want to shoot the rifle before you decide to bed the stock. If it shoots well, you can avoid the bedding job on the mannlicher stock. They aren't easy to do, and do right.

Martyn

Scorch

Bedding on a Mannlicher-stocked rifle is just like above. Bed the action area, free float the barrel enough to make sure there is no contact (but not so much that it looks like 1/8" between the barrel and stock), make sure the hardware is not touching the barrel anywhere.
As far as synthetic stocks for the 77 RSI, MPI Stocks has a fiberglass Mannlicher stock.
http://www.mpistocks.com/

scouter27

thanks guys. i wasnt planning on touching it yet, still working on getting to the range. its rained every chance ive had, and i dont want to get it wet if i dont have to.

the mpi site was down, but google said the addy was ok. guess its just gone. thats no good, hopefully itll come back up soon. if someone is getting it to work, let me know what im doing wrong.

again, thanks for the help