Bedding the action

700cdl

I like to punch a lot of paper and hunt with my high powered rifles, and seem to have no problem producing very impressive groups. I feel if I quarter will easily cover a 5 shot group at 200 yds. my rifle is probably more accurate than I can shoot from a sand bag. A lot of other shooters that are using high end bench rest rifles, aren't shooting groups any better than mime. I do some work to my rifles like lapping the actions and barrels, trigger work, floating the barrels, and high quality optics. But I've never had any bedded, and all have the original factory stocks. I'm always being told I need to bed my actions, but I don't undertand what the purpose to bedding is. And if the rifle is producing consistent tight groups, why would I bed the action?

bigautomatic

If the barreled action is shifting around in the stock, it can cause groups to open up. Thats where bedding comes into play. It fills in all the voids and loose fitting areas between the action and stock, so that they act as one part during recoil, therefore improving accuracy. If you are satisfied with how your rifle shoots, then don't bother.