Bedding Question

ZeroJunk

I used Acra Gel and bedded the recoil lug on a Win Model 70 in a Winchester synthetic stock, probably injection molded poly-something or the other. Anyway, popped it out after ten nours and the bedding came with the action. I sort of expected it since I didn't drill any holes or dremel anything to hold it in place. I started to re-do it and cut some notches to hold it in the stock. But then I thought, what difference does it make. It's tight as can be and got to be better than the mush they had in it from the factory.
What do ya'll think.

5whiskey

I had this happen the first time I bedded an action. I ran it like that, and it did okay actually. I don't know how often you break your rifle down (no need to break down a bolt action much, really), but it is annoying to remove the stock.

I will say when I finally did bed that action the right way, there was a remarkable difference. I would shoot it to see how it does, and if you're not satisfied redo it. Just drill a couple of small holes.

And for the record, I use pam cooking spray on the action before I set it. Works like a charm.

azredhawk44

What is bedding?

The receiver of a rifle (almost) never is perfectly mated to the engagement surfaces of a rifle stock. There is room for twist, wiggle, slop, play and all sorts of other movement during the recoil impulse of the shot.

Bedding is the technique used to eliminate this. You use a liquid compound that fills in the gaps between the metal receiver surfaces and the wood or plastic stock surfaces. The compound hardens and the receiver has less play during the shot. Less wiggle or vibration means less shot variation. More accuracy.

ZeroJunk

I went ahead and did it over. I undercut the recoil lug area and used a couple of coats of release agent and a coat of wax shoe polish. Still snug but it popped out. Wife didn't have any PAM.