becoming safe queens?

9ballbilly

Asked if I owned any "safe queens" my answer would be a resounding, "NO, all my firearms are "working" guns."
I sadly realized today that as I get older and shoot less my guns spend increasingly more time in the safe. Anyone else notice this happening to them?

Oh well, at least I got to put a cylinderful through the .32mag Single-six this morning. :D

BarryLee

Yes, I’ve picked up several guns over the years, and although I shoot on a fairly regular basis the truth is I just don’t have the desire to shoot some of them. Yes, I could probably sell a few, but some are no longer manufactured and others hold sentimental value to me. At the end of the day it cost nothing to keep guns and they don’t take up much room.

HawkeyeNRAlifer

I'm there also. As I've grown older I've continued to acquire guns and for quite awhile I'd take 'em out every weekend. At least the amount I could fit in my truck. Now I'm still buying but in no way am I getting out as much. Most of my mil-sups, for which I've plenty of ammo, haven't seen the light of day for years. And my hunting has dropped off too. I suppose I've picked up a couple of other interests that compete for my spare time.

JWT

I'm pretty much where BarryLee is, except I continue to buy when something really catches my eye. Don't shoot many of them as much as I once did but parting with guns is difficult for me.

jersurf101

It depends on someones definition of a safe queen but I have a few rifles that i hate to bring out as I learn to appreciate them. One being a minty Smith Corona 03a3 and a nice 1943 Husqvarna that I don't shoot very much

bamaranger

unfortuantely

Yeah, sure. But don't be too hard on yourself. It's maybe not all about "you slowing down".

My big F-T/R match rifle sets in the safe, 'cause I can't afford to travel, shoot and burn 2 days leave for the matches. I quickly learned that highpower was an expensive uptake if one shot very much at all.

I've got two .410 shotguns, bought expressly for rabbit hunting ahead of beagles. But I can't find the time between work, family and other obligations to run the dogs like I should, and they are trashy. So rabbit hunting is on the back burner.

Two dedicated groundhog rifles.....but the coyotes have eaten all the groundhogs!

Little used, but my Dad's and Granddad's guns aren't going anywhere except to bamaboy when I'm done with them.

A passel of .22's, but can't find ammo!

You get the idea.

sigpro2340

Pistols, being a hobby I can really appreciate, and for that reason, I do have a few "safe queens" that remained unfired (other than factory) for dubious reasons.

There are a few pistols in todays market I consider a good investment.... the P7 being one.

madmo44mag

Since I collect WW2 battle rifles I have several that don't see the light of day much but there is one that never see's the range.
A 1939 K98 Mauser made at the Oberndorf factory all numbers match.
The stock has some trench art on it that appears to be period correct.
She sits in a place of honor in the safe as a survivor of WW2.

45Gunner

During my working years and growing gun collection, I tried to cycle all my guns to the range in some semblance of order. Now that I am retired, the growth rate has slowed down but I find myself gravitating to 5 guns. The others come out but not as frequently as they used to. Seems this should have been the other way around especially since I now shoot 4 - 5 days a week.

SauerGrapes

I seem to have 3 or 4 that are regulars in my range bag when I can get out. {which hasn't been much this year.} The rest are seeing limited to no range time.
I seem to be content cleaning them and lubing them once in a while. Geez, this makes me realize, I haven't shot my carry gun in?

1stmar

Nothing wrong with safe queens. I have some. I go through cycles, right now it's a garand. Soon my 22-250 will be back from rebarreling and then I will be shooting that. After that, I'm sure it will be something else. I try to shoot everything at least once a year to keep them in good working order and clean them. But in the end, nothing wrong with having guns you admire but don't shoot.

I have lots of safe queens. I don't need to shoot any of them, cause I already know they shoot the same as the rest of my firearms.

Just like $$ in the bank, but with a much better rate of return. :D

Brotherbadger

There are several old guns my grandfather left to my father that we never take out. A few old 410 shotguns, an old .22 that i don't think works anymore, a rifle or two. They are fun to pull out and look at, but we never use them. We have them because they are basically family memories.

MuzzleBlast

My Garand has suffered a one-two punch: First all the surplus ammo went away, then I bought an AR. The AR is just so much nicer to shoot, and the ammo costs half as much!

Don P

I shoot all that is in the safe. Python, P-35, and the rest get shot. I see no need to NOT shoot them. What good is it to go to the grave not shooting safe queens. It won't make a difference when dead . I'll enjoy all I own and truly enjoy shooting the Python in completion matches (ICORE):cool:

Robk

My modest pitol collection was bought for the express purpose of shooting them. Well as priorites change, it seems I only bring out 3 or 4 when I shoot. Sometimes it's about what ammo I have on hand. Other times it is how much of a PITA it is to clean, well atleast what a PITA it is to clean so many at once, after you need time for that too, which I now have less of it seems. Thinking about it now, I probaly should sell some, consolidate calibers and kull the herd. Come to think it of, haven't fired the P232 more than 25 rounds in the last 3 years. Wow, time to rethink it all...:eek: