Beavertail for a Springfield 1911

Quartus

Any recommendations as to brand, etc.? I just got back from the range and went through a couple of hundred rounds. First time I've fired that many iin one setting with my Springfield. Ouch! I got a couple of divots in my gun hand web.

Blistered my trigger finner, too. :)

It's a double stacker, and I'm also looking to (mebbe) put some adjustable sights on it. I want it to stay a reliable combat piece, so I don't want some primma donna target sights. I like the stock 3 dots, but the beast shoots very low, so I'm thinking a sight change is in order. I doubt I can file down the front sight enough to bring the POI up the 6 inches or so it needs to go. I'm shooting Federal 230 gr HydroShock and Winchester white box 230 hardball. They seem to print about the same for me.

Suggestions?

norielX

It's been a while since I've been looking for 1911 parts. brownell's (http://www.brownells.com) should have pretty much all the 1911 parts you're looking for. I like the memory buttons they put on the beavertails, but not if they're too big or a little sharp, like the ones Springfield uses.

IIRC, either Wilson Combat or Les Baer has a set of sights that are like Novak's, but are adjustable.

Ledbetter

What kind of Springfield?

Didn't know they made a double stacker.

There has just been a discussion of this on 1911forum.com.

You need a .220 radius beavertail. Some drop in. If you want, I have a beavertail from a parkerized Loaded that I'll ship to you for $20. Your frame will require modification (Tang reduction) for this part.

Regards.

Quartus

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. Ledbetter, Springfield stopped making the double stacker, I understand. I bought mine about 2 years ago, just before 'deciding' to be out of work for awhile. Life got a little crazy after that, including about 11 months away from my family trying to put bread on the table. So, I just haven't shot the thing much.

I'm taking a Defensive Handgunning course from John Farnam in two weeks, so I have not much time to get this beavertail installed! I don't want to go through 2 days of heavy shooting with it biting me.

Thanks again!

norielX

IIRC, I've seen some beavertails that will drop into a mil-spec 1911. They come in all sorts of quality, too. I've seen what looks like poorly cast beavertails and some from the bigger name companies.

pwiz

I got mine from Wilson. It is a drop in, no filing of frame or such. It works just fine. They also sell ones that have a higher sweep but they need fitting.

pwiz