Bear Creek Bullets

I stumbled on another thread talking about Summit bullets. Along the way, a member suggested using Bear Creek's. I'm not a fan of using lead bullets in most of my guns, although I do have lead to cast for some. However, Bear Creek talks about some kind of polymer coating that all but keeps barrels from fouling/lead buildup.

Anyone using these? I just dumped almost $400 on jacketed bullets. For less than half the price, I could have had the same number of Bear Creek's.

https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/

big al hunter

It sounds like they have combined powder coating and moly to create their own coating. I have been powder coating bullets without moly. So far I have pushed range scrap and Lyman #2 to max 44 mag levels without any leading. When I recovered some of the bullets fired into frozen sand the nose was deformed, but the powder coating was still stuck to the bullet enough I could easily identify my bullets. I have also loaded to book max for 357 mad with powder coated Lyman #2 in a lever action rifle. No leading. My next test load will be 454 Casull.

If I were you I would try the Bear Creek. Since you already cast, I also recommend trying powder coating. The only special equipment is an old toaster oven that reaches 400 degrees and will not be used for food ever again.

rc

They use some sort of a black coating that puts a shine on the bullets and seals the lead from oxidation. They are OK for 38 special, light 357 and some low velocity 147grain 9 and 45 but I would not push them to 44 mag full power speeds but 44 special or plus P would be fine. They are not the hardest or best lubed but they are a decent budget bullet and the coating keeps them from oxidizing in storage unlike the lube groove only lubed bullets. I like them better than plated. They give better accuracy. They have a crimp groove and make fine revolver bullets. I think I like western nevada and those silver lazer cast hard cast bullets a little better if I was going to push them a bit harder. I think the ones with the lube in the groove cast hard perform a little better over a wider range of velocity. Unfortunately, prices of jacketed bullets are crazy high right now. Not a good time to be buying but there are still some armscore bullets that aren't too badly priced with a true jacket out there. I've used a lot of the bear creek bullets. I used to buy the 9mm ones for $20/500 when I started reloading in the 90s and the last ones I bought 10 years ago were about $35/500 so I bought what they had that I could use. I still have 500 of the 147 grain 9mm bullets I will eventually load for cheap practice rounds but prefer to shoot 115 or 124 grain jacketed in 9mm. Their 158 SWC bullet is excellent in 38 special where lead seems about as good as jacketed for that round.

Nathan

Bear Creek makes great bullets and my guns clean up easily.

You will get that coating all over your hands.

Sarge

That was my post. I've used Bear Creek in 44-40 level 44 Mag loads, 45 ACP in 5 pistols/revolvers and 45 Colt for regular and Ruger loads. Accuracy has been good to great and noticeably better than Hi Tec bullets.

I've got an old Uberti 44 Mag with 0.434" cylinder throats and I can order bullets from them to match it. I've never seen any fouling and clean-up is accomplished with a couple of patches. I have noticed a little dust on my fingers after handling a bunch, but it washes off easily- and at least it ain't lead.

I don't get any perks for recommending Bear Creek, BTW.

Jim Watson

Bear Creek is an old brand, selling bullets coated with their own mix before Hi Tek started coming in from Australia and before the powder coating hobby. Probably second on the market after Bull X. They nearly dropped out of sight for a good while, it is good to see them back. They have bullet styles not made by anybody else.

Mikie

Another positive experience with Bear Creek bullets: 380, 9mm, 357, 40, 44, 45. All good accuracy and barrels clean up easily.

rc

Anybody know if they are still in California or if they moved? They had a plant near Modesto and were widely distributed on the west coast with many dealers having display boards showing all of their offerings.

Mike38

I use Bear Creek bullets for my .32 S&W Long Olympic style target pistol. .314 dia hollow base wad cutter. Mainly because they are the only USA company that I know of that swages to a true .314 diameter. Speer lists theirs's as .314, but in reality are .313. The coating on Bear Creek bullets appears unique, at least to me. Zero leading, and I mean zero. I'm pushing these target loads to less than 700 fps, and still no leading. The bore on this target pistol looks like a mirror. Seriously. So I'm sure that has something to do with the zero leading, but maybe not?

Sarge said:
That was my post. I've used Bear Creek in 44-40 level 44 Mag loads, 45 ACP in 5 pistols/revolvers and 45 Colt for regular and Ruger loads. Accuracy has been good to great and noticeably better than Hi Tec bullets.

I've got an old Uberti 44 Mag with 0.434" cylinder throats and I can order bullets from them to match it. I've never seen any fouling and clean-up is accomplished with a couple of patches. I have noticed a little dust on my fingers after handling a bunch, but it washes off easily- and at least it ain't lead.

I don't get any perks for recommending Bear Creek, BTW.

Yep, Sarge, it was yours. I wanted to pipe up and ask about Bear Creek in that thread. That would have been a big "no-no"...especially me being Staff, here. Glad you popped in here and gave your two cents.

Nathan said:
Bear Creek makes great bullets and my guns clean up easily.

You will get that coating all over your hands.

I don't mind the mess as long as my hands clean up after reloading and my firearms clean just as easily as using jacketed bullets. Trying to use Lee's Alox is a disaster for me.

RickB

I've shot some tens of thousands of Bear Creek, mostly 200gr .45.
They have a family connection with Precision Bullets in Texas, and do or did share the "secret family recipe" of the coating.

Mike38,

I might try them in my GSP. It is curious that they are 0.314" as their price sheet puts them at 0.313". Good to know, though.

I've had good luck with accuracy using the Lee Tumble Lube bullet design. I bought a 6-cavity mold for .32 WC's before they stopped offering it. The bullets shoot very accurately; about half the size of commercial match ammo groups. The trick I use with tumble lube is to dilute it 50:50 with mineral spirits and just get a thin coat. The alloy I use will, frankly, shoot un-lubed and not foul badly at the low .32 pressures. To make the lubed bullets easier to handle, just as the TL gets tacky and before it dries, I have a commercial kitchen style salt seller I use to shake some motor mica onto the bullets and roll them around to distribute it. I can't complain about fouling issues, though there is still more smoke than you get from coated bullets.

Mike38

Unclenick, Yea, that threw me for a loop. All of their .32 cal bullets are listed as .313 diameter, but if you notice, the .32 cal. 98 grain HBWC doesn't have a diameter listed. So I called them about it. They said it used to be .313, but requests for .314 prompted them to make the change. But to be safe, it might be wise to call and ask before ordering. I bought 2000 pieces about 6 months ago, and may place another order here in a couple months.