Bear Coat Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEC

Does anyone have any experience with the Bearcoat finish? Is it durable and is it worth $250?

shamster

Don't have any experience with it, but it sounds really durable. It is the best coating option from the Les Baer line, so it should be good.

Ricky T

I was told by my gunsmith that the finishes:
1. Baer coat by Les Bear
2. Armor Tuff by Wilson
3. Armory Kote by Springfield Armory
etc.
are basically a similar process as Walter Birdsong's Black T. The process involves literally spraying molybdenum dysulfide (I think that's what they call the chemical) mixture onto a preheated gun/parts and then bake it in an oven at 300 degree F for approx. 1 hr. If applied correctly they are extremely durable against corrosion, chemicals, scratches, etc. The process is also help provide naturally slicker surfaces for the moving parts. The $250 cost is on par with what Wilson's and other big name gunsmith charge. This cost appeared to be the deluxe prep price, it involve detail stripping of all parts and application of the moly. to all surfaces. Wilson Combat have a lower cost (around $180) for a basic prep job. Brownell's have these moly. paint in either spray cans or air brush application. They come in matte black, o.d. green, or silver (kind of like hard chrome). My gunsmith applied the process by air brush on my Colt Government Model and it looks great. It looks as good as Wilson's or Springfield's finishes that I've compared with.

bk40

I talked to Mr. Birdsong (on the phone - He lives about 2½ hours from me) Tuesday. We've talked many times and he is very generous with advice and his time. His company has Black-T'd several of my pistols and I'm very pleased with the results.

If you live outside of MS the price to coat 1 pistol (w/ 2 mags) is $140.

Walt informed me than his company is doing all the coating for Springfield Armory, among many others.

Last but not least, when asked he told me that Black-T is good for at least 40,000 hours corrosion protection in salt water!

His opinion: Bear Coat is an inferior product. (I don't know, have no experience with it)
HTH

DEC

bk40, how durable has Black-T been. Is it scratch resistant and does it hold up well to holster wear? I don't expect Birdsong to say Bear Coat is better since it is his competition.

Macoute

I found Black-T to wear about the same as a plain parkerized finish. After a couple of hundred rounds, the finish on the contact points of the slide rails and frame was worn almost off. The barrel also showed pretty substantial galling. I was not shooting dry either. I still lubed the pistol as usual. I do not want to slam Black-T, I just did not find it much superior to plain ole parkerizing. However, Mr. Birdsong does give great advice and his firm delivers great customer service.

ArizonaMorgan

Try titanium from <a href="http://www.limcat.com">Limcat</a> It's only $235 and is probably a much better finish (I have no experience with Black-T and only a little with titanium).

------------------
Arizona Morgan, The Official Armchair Warrior

bk40

DEC,

Black-T hold up pretty good. It is not scratch resistant. When it starts to wear, like on the barrel hood, it still leaves a corrosion prevention layer.

The main thing I've learned from Walt is the importance of keeping the inside of your holster clean. That is where a lot of damage is done to all gun finishes, in Walt's opinion. I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.