Be Sure to be Careful in the Can

TXAZ

Makes me wonder how much common sense was involved, if any...
I'd ask a different question: why was his gun in a condition it would fire in such a bump or drop situation?

Makes me wonder how much common sense was involved, if any...

What was he doing? "I'm gonna put the gun on the round, shiny, slippery, toilet paper holding thing, so I can wipe."

No common sense, whatsoever.

I'd ask a different question: why was his gun in a condition it would fire in such a bump or drop situation?

Obviously not a Glock.

Chaz88

Who removes their weapon from their body before, during, after?

If I am having a sit down and I have a holster on with out a retention strap I do. If at home I set it on the counter. If not at home I set it in the crotch of my pants. If I carry in this kind of holster it is not with a type of gun that would be likely to discharge if dropped. I remove it because it is likely to be dropped if left hanging on my belt. I put it in the crotch of my pants because I am not likely to leave it behind when I pull my pants up.

JimmyR

I had trouble opening the link, but I think THIS ONE links to the same story.

Depending on my carry weapon that day, there are times when I will put my weapon on the ground while in the stall. My first preference is to leave it in my holster, but if need be, I set the gun on the floor near my feet-preferably next to the wall. I also use the baby-change stations if I end up in a stall with one of those in it...

TXAZ said:
My bet is that it didn't fire when the gun hit the ground, but when the guy tried to catch the gun before it hit the ground.

spacecoast

My bet is that it didn't fire when the gun hit the ground, but when the guy tried to catch the gun before it hit the ground.

I think that's a pretty good bet. Who carries a gun that discharges if dropped on the ground (other than a Nighthawk)?

MTT TL

I'd put my money there too.

Never, ever, ever try to catch a falling gun.

saltydog452

IWB. Off the floor and in the saddle.

If its a sit-down event, side arm are placed on top of the skid marks in my tidy-whiteys. Everything is off the floor and in the saddle.

Kinda difficult to visualize how a pistol be misplaced/forgotten if its in the 'saddle' of the skivies and the britches while you are seated. I guess its possible.

Using over-the-shoulder straps like the Perry line, presents a slightly different manual of arms for me.

Everything is off the floor, but ,not exactly, off your body.

salty

Jay24bal

I'm with Chaz here.

My holster is an IWB, so no retention strap. The belt does a lot of the work to help provide the tension required to keep the gun in the holster (Crossbreed with a kydex housing mounted to horsehide). So when the belt is not tight around my waist, the gun/holster has a chance to fold over and for the gun to fall out.

jnichols2

My CHL hasn't come in the mail yet, and I haven't had to deal with the issue yet. But now, it makes sense to me to try it out at home first.

My kydex IWB holster grips the gun pretty good. I'll check to see if it holds inside the pants during these trips.

If I'm not satisfied, I'll definitely follow Chaz88's worthy advice.

MTT TL

Sounds to me like some people need a better holster. Why in this day and age with modern retention designs being just as fast and easy to use as any other I don't know why people bother with antiquated designs. Putting a hole in part of your body that you do not want is not worth saving a few bucks.

Skans

A good carry gun shouldn't go "bang" when it gets dropped. I've dropped my Ruger LC9 a couple of times with a round in the chamber without incident. Everyone likes to get their licks in on Ruger for being too safety conscious - well at least it can take a drop without going "bang".

pax

Read this post: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5379368&postcount=6

And this article about how to check out a new holster: http://www.corneredcat.com/check-it-out/

Finally, a word of advice. If your carry gear does not hold the gun securely even while you are using the facilities, you need better carry gear. A holster that lets the gun fall out when it's tipped gently upside down is a bad holster and should be thrown away -- and I don't care how much you paid for it. "Holding the gun securely" is right at the top of a holster's job description. If it won't do that much, it's trash and should be treated as such.

pax

BuckRub

Throw it away ??? No, I agree its trash but one mans trash is another mans treasure. Sell it to someone else and let it be there treasure.

Andy Blozinski

Another vote for shoulder holsters here. It's not attached to your belt, so you don't care about the can. It also means your weapon is as ready to go in the can as it is normally.