Bda.380 & +P ammo

Fer

Well I understand .380 ammo does not exist correct? however I did see somwhere that one company does make .380 +P. If I get the chance to purchase some +P .380 ammo, would it be advisible to shoot it out of my beloved Bda.380??

Regards,

MrAnteater

I think "Extreme Shock" makes 380 +P but their ammo is overpriced and it's :barf:

Cor Bon is making a hot 380 round. It's listed as 380+P in the Natchez catalog I have but not the case on the Cor Bon web site. Their 90g JHP makes an advertised 220 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.

MrAnteater

I shoot them from my Kel Tec P3AT and Bera Thunder 380 and haven't found problems.

You could contact Browning and ask them but I don't think it would matter.

Fer

Anteater,

Is recoil more obvious with the Corbons? I mean do you think the gun is feeling the extra recoil?

MrAnteater

I feel the difference with the Kel Tec. It's such a light pistol its noticeable compared to target loads.

Kel Tec says their pistols are OK to shoot +P loads but not for extended periods of time. I generally don't run more than a couple of magazines worth of SD loads at a time.

MrAnteater

BTW, you can find the BDA manual on-line. All it says is not to exceed SAAMI specs which factory ammo wouldn't do anyways.

geez768

Kel Tec says their pistols are OK to shoot +P loads but not for extended periods of time

What does this mean that if you only shoot a little every couple weeks the pistol will heal up and not by so sore? It either can handle it or it cant, this Keltec stuff about limited ammo and "cant shoot it all the time" stuff sounds like a load of crap to hide a bad product to me. No offence MrAnteater this was aimed at Keltec marketing not you as an individual.

obxned

It is safe to shoot +P in a KelTec, but not sensable as a steady diet. The same would apply to many .38 snubbies. Even with full size, all steel pistols, you would just be causing faster wear, and there is a limit to how dead you can kill a paper target.

MrAnteater

Ya, the description of recommended ammo from Kel Tec does seem to be wishy washy.

But it is what it is. A small inexpensive SD handgun. Not meant to put hundreds of rounds down range in a single session. I generally don't shoot more than 50 rounds or so in a given trip to the range with any KT. It does get real hot.

The debate whether Kel tecs are reliable has been beaten to death on about every form so I won't rehash all that here. I own them, shoot them, and they work for me.

Dean Speir

Fer said:
So +P is under SAMMI specs?. Was +P ammo available when the Bda was designed?
There is no such animule as ".380 ACP +P." If there is, it's not SAAMI spec, because SAAMI has established no such specification.

If the manufacturer of any round marketed as ".380 ACP +P" is a Member of SAAMI, then the round is in fact SAAMI-spec .380 ACP and the "+P" designation is just some sales sizzle.

So, yeah! Since you need it spelled out for you, you can safely and confidently shoot any SAAMI-spec 9 X 17mm round out of your BDA.

BTW, last I looked, CorBon markets all of its handgun ammunition as "+P," but two years or so back, formally joined SAAMI, and by doing so became signatory to SAAMI specifications.

For the record, the only "+P" handgun rounds for which SAAMI lists a specification are: 9 X 19mm, .38 Special and .45 ACP. Anyround in another chambering is a product of the marketing department, not the production line.

michael t

There is no such animule as ".380 ACP +P." If there is, it's not SAAMI spec, because SAAMI has established no such specification.

If the manufacturer of any round marketed as ".380 ACP +P" is a Member of SAAMI, then the round is in fact SAAMI-spec .380 ACP and the "+P" designation is just some sales sizzle.

So, yeah! Since you need it spelled out for you, you can safely and confidently shoot any SAAMI-spec 9 X 17mm round out of your BDA.

BTW, last I looked, CorBon markets all of its handgun ammunition as "+P," but two years or so back, formally joined SAAMI, and by doing so became signatory to SAAMI specifications.

For the record, the only "+P" handgun rounds for which SAAMI lists a specification are: 9 X 19mm, .38 Special and .45 ACP. Anyround in another chambering is a product of the marketing department, not the production line.

A big +P on the no 380+P just market hype . I use Corbon in all my 380's
PPK/S ,Bersa, Colt Mustang ,Kel Tec. Never a jam or a problem The DPX is my 380 carry round.
Corbon is trying to correct all the people that advertize ther 380 as +P If you see in a Catalog . Advise Corbon as they want the add corrected.

geez768

If yours work for you then im not going to be the guy to say you should not carry them. Just dont think I coudl buy one but you never know I guess.