BCM M4 Mod 2

djcantr

Went to the LGS today to pick up my Kimber that had been repaired (picking it up was a good excuse to go firearm shopping...) and a BCM M4 Mod 2 followed me home. It's my first AR type weapon and I wanted one ready to go right out of the box. I'll build the next one after I pick up a S&W 15-22 for cheap shooting at the range.

My gf makes me happy. Our finances are separate and we don't live together so if she wanted to she couldn't complain too much about what I spend on firearms (not that that would stop the average woman...) but she actually encourages my purchases. I've bought nine of them since my house was burglarized last Halloween and I suddenly got obsessed with guns and have also bought a safe, reloading presses and lots of components. While at the LGS today I checked out a couple ARs and I was really wanting this BCM but was hesitant because it wasn't a small chunk of change. I had considered a couple others and she told me I should go ahead and get the one I want because I work hard for my money and I deserve it. She said she would be mad if I ever bought a lesser firearm I might not like as much due to cost as it'd be a waste of money and I should just get what I want the first time. Where did I find this woman?! :D

Like I said, this is my first AR. What's the proper terminology for this particular firearm? AR-15 or M4? It bugs me when people call magazines clips and I don't want to have people look at me the same way if I call this an M4 and it's technically an AR-15. What should I know about this firearm? Who has the best deal on good mags? I saw Brownells has 10 packs of PMags for $140 and I've heard they're very good. This carbine has a fold down rear sight but fixed front. I was told I could still put an EOTech holographic optic on the rail even though it has a fixed front sight. True?

Skadoosh

Its an AR15 M4-style Carbine. A genuine M4 has full-auto or burst capability.

Your BCM is a very good rifle.

And yes, the EoTech will work perfectly well even with a fixed front sight. It should co-witness just fine.

Achilles11B

Congrats on both the rifle and the GF. :D

PMags are a favorite of many AR owners, including this one. Pick up the 10 pack and don't look back.

sigcurious

You'll also see the term Mforgery tossed around but that is more of a casual reference to M4 Style ARs.

Shop around on mags a bit, the Brownells sale isnt bad but it isn't great(Around here at least, $14/mag is what I see in the LGS).

I think botach has them for $11 with free shipping. Can't endorse them though as I have never ordered from them.

You sure can mount an eotech, it will just cowitness. Google cowitness eotech and look at some of the pictures that come up, you'll get an idea of what the sight picture will look like with that set up.

Therealkoop

the BCM is a great carbine. Great first AR.

M-"forgery" or m4gery is a common term used for a 14.5" carbine length gas system AR-15. Its really just an AR-15 however.

djcantr

Thanks all for the info. I went to an indoor range today that just goes to 25 yards so that's the distance I shot at. I shot standing as well as kneeling with my support hand under the rail and that hand resting on the bench. I shot 1.75"-2" ten shot groups that way, nothing to write home about. When the sights were where I wanted them when the trigger broke, the holes were all touching. The BCM seems quite accurate, the large groups were my fault. I'm not sure I like the rear sight. Even flipped to the small hole in it, it's hard to judge when that little front post is exactly in the middle of the rear hole (or aperture?). I need to buy some sandbags so I can do a little bench rest shooting and see how it does.

That leads me to optics. I originally wanted to buy an EOTech. I'd like to be able to use this carbine for 3 gun matches (have never shot in one) and thought a red dot/holographic sight would be ideal for that. Now I'm thinking I'd like a magnified optic. I have several uses I'd like to be able to use this carbine for. Target shooting (no more than 300 yards probably), hunting and 3 gun matches. I'd want to keep it under $600 probably for an optic. What should I think about and consider?

5RWill

Aimpoint or EOtech can be had for under 600$.

I prefer the micro series, own the H-1 because couldn't afford the T-1 at the time. The H-1 can be had for right under 600$ with a Larue Tall QD mount (1/3 Co-witness) from Kevin at http://highcalibersales.com/available-items.html

377488_2335935439579_1285620147_31922345_1844136031_n.jpg

thesheepdog

I would go aimpoint if you have the cash.

I had to save up for mine, but it's definitely worth it.

AR15.com, you can find aimpoints for around $350-$375.

I got an Aimpoint PRO for $375 brand new.

Last edited:

thesheepdog

Target shooting (no more than 300 yards probably), hunting and 3 gun matches. I'd want to keep it under $600 probably for an optic. What should I think about and consider?

This can be done with Iron sights, easily.

The M16 is set to shoot out to 600 yards with iron sights.

An Aimpoint-with a 2 MOA dot-can be even more accurate with the right training/practice.

If you want magnification, I would suggest a used ACOG TA01 NSN. These can be had for $500-$600 if you look in the right places online.

I teach rifle marksmanship out to 500 yards, and most of our instruction is on iron sights, using military techniques and qualification tests.
We also teach scopes and red dots too.

I would highly suggest getting enrolled in a AR basic course, so you can learn your rifle, and how to shoot using the Iron's before you spend the extra cash on an optic.