BCM Customer Service

riggins_83

Today was the first time I've ever had to contact BCM customer service, was not impressed. I tried to call 5 times today (well within their normal hours, first call more than 30 minutes after their scheduled open time). Each time I immediately received a canned message "Sorry we're not able to get to the phone right now, for faster service email us." The fact there wasn't an option to leave a message or be placed into a call queue was rather disappointing.

I sent the following email:
Good morning,

I need an RMA for BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group from order # xxxxx. This is the first issue I’ve encountered with a BCM upper assembly (of the xx I’ve purchased if I recall correctly). Running a Daniel Defense fixed rear sight the windage adjustment had to be less than 4 clicks from maxed out (to the left) for zero. I switched to a Troy rear sight and encountered the same issue (a sight I removed from another BCM upper I have that was zeroed with almost no adjustment to the rear sight). One of the range managers also fired the rifle, point of impact was the same for him.

I know you probably have a lot of returns/exchanges from people who don’t understand trigger control and are changing their point of aim before the trigger breaks. When I shoot my other BCM upper rifles (which are all using the same Hyperfire triggers as this one) I have very minimal rear windage adjustment for a good windage zero.

My intention was to take this new rifle to my cabin in Statename next Friday when I make a run up there. I understand your exchange policy with the timeframe for shipping and the credit process itself can take several weeks. If I was to want a different upper assembly (of greater value, understand I will have to pay the difference), is there any way to expedite the exchange process? I’d be glad to provide a credit card number for a temporary authorization which would only be removed/refunded once BCM receives my upper back and verifies everything is there.

Either way, I would like to request an RMA number for the purposes of exchange. If it would be possible to expedite the process I’d greatly appreciate it and would be willing to provide a card for that purpose as mentioned above. The card number I used for this purchase has since been closed (I use a virtual card number that’s created for a single transaction then closed for internet purchases), as a result I’d need to provide a new card number for a temporary charge.

If you need to reach me about this please call xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thank you,
My Name

This is the canned response I received that ignored the fact I'm within the BCM exchange policy (versus warranty work) and my question about addressing the exchange timeframe, and the fact I wish to exchange, not return for repair (which is listed as an option within 30 days of the order date).

Hello MyName,

Thank you for contacting us. You are more than welcome to send your upper receiver group to us with your BCG and one of your rear sights and we will inspect it for you. If we find anything wrong we will repair/replace the components and ship it back to you.

Attached is the Return Authorization Form that must be completed and included in the box for us to process your return.

Please use your order number as an RMA number.

Please include the following information inside the box with your returned merchandise:
Completed Return Authorization Form
A copy of this email.
Copy of invoice

To insure your order is processed effectively, please include all this information.

Not impressed with their Customer service, however overall am happy with their products (with the exception of this upper).

odugrad

Is your concern that you were unable to contact someone by phone? I e-mail BCM and they generally get back to me within an hour. I find this to be exceptional customer service.

It also sounds like they're more than happy to take a look at your upper.

Not sure what the issue is.

riggins_83

The issue is they ignored the questions I put in my email about exchange timeframe, the fact I want to exchange, not return (or send in for warranty work) and my question about them charging for me an exchange to expedite the process. They sent what was essentially a canned email and weren't available on the phone after multiple calls.

Fishbed77

Did you even follow up to clarify with them?

It seems way too soon to post your grievances on the interwebz.

riggins_83

It seems way too soon to post your grievances on the interwebz.

Yes, I did. The fact they ignored 90% of my original message says everything, however.

Good customer service in this country has been largely gone for some time, I was hoping a company like BCM would manager to maintain it.

Theohazard

This seems like an non-issue to me. Why would they answer your questions about an exchange before they even determined an exchange was needed? It doesn't make any sense to answer your questions before they even look at it. What if no exchange is needed and it's just a quick re-alignment of the rail?

Ibmikey

Theo hazard has the answer, an exchange before examination of the current upper for problems is quite premature. Reading BCM response I feel it is a personal response and not a canned email, they will inspect and repair or replace as needed if you follow their directions.
It is unfortunate you have difficulties and next Friday will go by without the upper in operating condition but sometimes we must be a little understanding and patient. No I do not work for BCM:)

rickyrick

I never once had any customer service department of any business make me feel that I was more special than other customers. I have had plenty of customer service departments solve my issue.
It all depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Fishbed77

It is unfortunate you have difficulties and next Friday will go by without the upper in operating condition but sometimes we must be a little understanding and patient.

"Two is one and one is none" isn't just a pithy piece of internet advice. There's a lot of truth there too.

hdwhit

I too, fail to understand the reason for the complaint.

They didn't answer the phone, but they did respond to the e-mail. They suggested a reasonable course of action to resolve the OP's concern. They didn't address issues raised in the OP's original e-mail that were dependent upon them receiving the return of the original upper, but that's to be expected.

marine6680

Most CS reps don't have the time to spend writing a detailed point by point response. They will keep things to the point...

I have never seen a company offer an exchange sight unseen either. They can't really take a customer's word that they "Are experienced shooters, well versed in the AR and their mechanical function"... All novices think they know more than they really know... They must verify there is really a problem, and 5hat the problem can not be corrected using the existing parts, specifically the higher cost ones...

Also... The inclusion of the line about willing to pay the difference for a different upper... That is a red flag to a CS rep... That can make them suspicious of intentions. "Is the upper really faulty, or did they just decide after the fact, that they want a different upper?"

I have dealt with a few CS departments, and not had an issue. Don't expect the moon, and don't expect special treatment beyond everyone else, and especially don't expect deviation from company policies... And you will usually be happy.

JJHSN

Maybe next time try not writing a novel length email to them and maybe just be satisfied with what they are going to do for you. You have no right to dictate how they wish to address your complaints and demanding a complete replacement is ridiculous on your part. If there is an issue, they will fix it, if not they will replace it. End of story.

BCM is a well respected company and that respect is well deserved. Count me as a person who is not at all impressed by how you have chosen to handle this situation and how you are trying to badmouth BCM on the basis of your, frankly, incompetence in dealing with this situation and your assumption that BCM is for some reason simply do precisely what you want them to do, how you want them do it and to take your word that you are some sort of advance AR user.

Last edited:

rickyrick

Guns are the one thing for sure that I've never needed customer service; well, as far as the gun goes. I've had order, shipping and money problems with gun purchases though.
I've never had a gun issue that I couldn't correct, or wasn't caused by me.

What ever your warranty says they will do, they will do it. Most companies will repair if possible. Exchange for a new product is the last line really.

marine6680

My firearm related CS needs have been limited, and nothing too crazy as far as issues.

So far pretty lucky on that.

Dragline45

I actually had the same problem recently with a BCM 20" upper. The rifle was consistently shooting right, to make sure it wasnt just me I picked up a laser bore sighter and it took 16 clicks to the left on my Troy Rear folding sight to get the front sight post and laser bore sighter properly ligned up. Contacted BCM and they said thats in spec when in use with a folding sight, and the only way to properly check would be by installing a carry handle sight. I pulled my Daniel Defense fixed rear sight from my other BCM upper and popped in the bore sighter and sure enough the laser was still printing right. Ended up selling the upper to a buddy for a loss who was aware of the problem. Ordering a 16" BCM upper to replace it soon, well see if this one shoots straight.