BB/Pellet Gun Experience

thebucket

For a long while (9 years or so) I've been shooting my bb/pellet pistols in my backyard and have not had the opportunity to fire a "real" pistol. I've been considering getting a handgun and have perused these forums looking for advice.
So here are the areas I'm interested in:
1. Marksmanship - Is shooting a real pistol so different than airguns that I would have to learn marksmanship all over again?

2. Flinching - I found a revolver that I really liked, a Ruger GP-100 in 357Mag and I wanted to start shooting .38's in it and work up to magnums. A lot of people have suggested to start with a .22 to get used to firing guns because starting with bigger guns may cause a flinch to develop. So would firing my airguns have prepared me as well as a .22 could have?

I'm asking because I'd like to get the Ruger GP-100 now if I could and use my airguns for cheap fun and cheap practice and pick up a 22 later on. I have enough money for one gun right now and yes I know .38/.357 ammo is more expensive than .22 by an order of ten.
Would shooting my airguns have prepared me for bigger guns well enough or am I better off starting with a .22?

WillBrayjr

Your airguns were enough. Starting with a Ruger GP-100 and lightly loaded .38spl loads won't make you flinch at all. In fact they do feel like shooting a .22lr, thats because of the GP-100's weight. Just buy some chainstore ammo (winchester value pack) which is 100rds for about $10.00 and you'll be alright.

Doerdie

I agree, but I still would get a 22 someday. I shoot my S&W 422 every time I go to the range. 22's are fun, accurate and cheap to shoot.

JohnKSa

Administrator
They're a good start.

If you've been shooting spring piston airguns, they're actually harder to shoot than firearms because they have very slow locktime and the gun actually recoils BEFORE the pellet even starts moving. Consistent hold and good follow-through is a must.

Invicta

I also suggest getting a .22lr pistol to start out with. The Walther P22, Browning Buckmark, and Ruger mark II would be great starter guns and all can be bought new for $300 or less. Plus 22 ammo is super cheap so you can shoot all day long. Practice is key, especially for a beginner.