BB gun = firearm in Cleveland

Gabby Hayes

Remember the movie "A Christmas Story" from 1983? It starred Darren McGavin as the father of a little round-faced, bespectacled 9-year-old Ralphie, whose hopes were set on getting a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas. Everyone kept telling the kid "you'll shoot your eye out!" The story was set in 1940s Indiana, but was filmed in Cleveland.

Well Ralphie's elders no longer have to worry. Last night Cleveland city council ruled that BB guns are henceforth to be classified and regulated as firearms and only adults can own them. The full story is on Fox: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,52192,00.html

Yeah, well ......

I'm 52 now ---- and BB guns have been illegal in Western Australia my whole life. (Air pistols and airguns are classified as "firearms" and you have to go through the full licensing regime to get one.)

I used to watch kids on American TV shows during the 50s and 60s with their BB guns and Chinwester lookalikes and cowboy suits with hats and holsters and six-guns, and went to bed some nights (especially the cold, wet nights, when the wind howled and the rain rattled on the corrugated iron roof) and literally cried myself to sleep because I couldn't understand why I wasn't trusted enough to own one! I hadn't been a bad boy!

I've become a lot harder and more cynical since then -- but, some nights, when the wind howls and rain rattles on the roof like lead shot, it's not hard to remember what it felt like when I was 9 or 10 ..... and my government still doesn't trust me.

Bruce

RAY WOODROW 3RD

DFBonnett

I went to the gun turn-in thingamajig and they would not take ANY bb guns unless they were strickly pellet guns. I would need a pistol permit to buy this gun in this State! Double standard butt heads! It was the South Brunswick Police Dept. Thanks for the $80.00 for two worthless guns!;) :p