BATF/Airline carry from Germany to US?

Chindo18Z

This one is a little complicated: I am an active duty soldier nearing completion of a 3-year tour of duty in Germany. I have legally purchased a number of handguns (from other service members or thru my local Military Rod & Gun Club). All weapons are registered w/ Military authorities. Over the past 24 years, I have ALWAYS hand-carried my handguns (as checked baggage containing firearms) whenever I have conducted a move to a new assignment. Never a problem...I feel better having the weapons in my possession rather than risk theft or loss in a shipping container with everything else from my house. I have never been questioned or denied this means of transport by military or airline authorities...until now. My local military transportation office/military police customs office advises that "military members are no longer authorized to legally transport firearms back to the USA via the airlines" due to a change in "regulations by the BATF" (which supposedly took effect in Jun 2000). I am told that I MUST ship my firearms (via cargo ship) along with everything else I own (household goods, car, etc.). Can anyone shed some light on this? I have carried my weapons from Germany to USA on 2 previous tours of duty. I think something is not right...and no one can show me this alleged "BATF regulation".

MrMisanthrope

Hmm, lessse,

When I rotated out of Germany I did 2 things:

1: I paid extra and flew Luftansa
2: I checked my guns with my luggage.

Why Luftansa? I left FRG aproximately 2 hours before every other poor schmuck standing in line for an anal with a threat level 1 American carrier got the Desert Shield Recall. $$$ was a small price to pay.

I simply showed my disasembled guns and paperwork to a handy Polezi Officer, locked up my luggage, put it on the belt and flew to Chicago. No Customs, no BATF, no worries.

DON'T FLY AMERICAN CARRIERS FROM EUROPE - unless you like rubber gloves...

------------------

HONOR PRAE OMNIBUS
INIURIA MINIMA OMNIBUS
Honor Before All
Doing Least Harm Always