Basics

Gunforall

I was reading an atical by Ayoob about stocking up on ammo and so on, and buying common ammo and reloading. I know some common ammo like 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP. Im sure this isnt all. Does this even matter if you are reloading since you are basically making your own. This is the question i have.

1. What ammo is readily availible in handgun (common)

2. What ammo is readily availible in Rifle (common)

3. Is it harder to obtain specialty ammo when reloading

Don P

If you have no brass saved, yes you buy ammo and save the brass. Now you know you are starting with once fired brass. Scrounging brass at the range is a excellent way to acumulate brass also. I would add 38spl and 357mag to your list of common rounds.

Farmland

I don't know if I follow you fully? However all the common ammunition for handguns, rifle and shotguns is pretty much 100% available where I live. There has always been a few exceptions for uncommon/special ammunition and 16 gauge variety.

Brass and bullets is plentiful for reloading along with the powder. I will say some types of primers has been a little slower to get. For example I can get all the handgun primers I want however it took me three weeks to get my hands on some large standard rifle primers.

dahermit

I was reading an atical by Ayoob about stocking up on ammo and so on, and buying common ammo and reloading. I know some common ammo like 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP. Im sure this isnt all. Does this even matter if you are reloading since you are basically making your own. This is the question i have.

1. What ammo is readily availible in handgun (common)

2. What ammo is readily availible in Rifle (common)

3. Is it harder to obtain specialty ammo when reloading

2. What brass is readily available in Rifle (common)

3. Is it harder to obtain specialty brass when reloading

You do not need ammo to hand load...you need brass, primers, bullets, and powder.
Almost all handgun brass is readily available except they say that .380 is hard to find (8mm Nambu is about dead as a handloadable cartridge...but most guns you can name have available components.) All rifle brass is available unless you have some really rare gun like a 6mm Lee Navy, etc.

As for number 3, what "specialty" ammo, brass are are you referring to? .45 Schofield? .38 Super?