Basic Gunsmithing Tools

TunnelRat

Hi all,
I recently purchased a Walther PPQ. To change the backstraps on it you actually need a flat punch to knock a pin out on the grip. Being German, it is in awesome metrics :). Anyway, I didn't have one that fit and had to look around some hardware stores to find one.

This is no fault of the gun, this is me not having the proper tools. My questions is, what is a short list of basic gunsmithing tools that you would consider to be essential for disassembling a semi-auto? Did you purchase those items separately or in a kit?

Thanks,
-Patrick

BigJimP

I usually pick them up as "kits" and then add something specific, as an additional item that I need and it grows over time, as I need it for a specific gun ...like a "Sig multi tool" or something.../ depends on what you're working on ....like AR's have a lot of specific tools - where 1911's - standard punches and screw drivers will be all you'll need for the most part...etc

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=.../ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=gunsmith_tools

Brownells has a good selection of tools - and kits.../ good set of punches and a good mallet ...and a good screw driver with changeable bits ...is a good start.

darkroommike

Kits

Gunsmithing kits, like tool kits or cooking kits will have lots of items you don't need and will not have items you do need. I think a good set of proper fitting gunsmith screwdrivers, steel and brass pin punches and a padded vise would be a good start. Add other items as needed.

SIGSHR

Clearly written instructions and correct manuals are a MUST! In addition to several sets of screwdrivers, being able to grind your own to fit specific needs
helps.

Big Shrek

Gunsmithing kits, like tool kits or cooking kits will have lots of items you don't need and will not have items you do need. I think a good set of proper fitting gunsmith screwdrivers, steel and brass pin punches and a padded vise would be a good start. Add other items as needed.

^^^ Yeah that!! :D

Especially if you plan to have a Gun Collection...it can get VERY expensive if you take 'em in for repair all the time.

AGI has killer vids on learning how to be a gunsmith...and specific vids on repairing many guns.
Strangely enough, U-Tube has a LOT of gunsmith vids, but be aware, there's occasionally an idiot in the bunch.
Temper the Vid info with good solid research. No harm in asking "Is this fix legit?" before potentially ruining a $1000 gun...

TunnelRat

Yeah some of the kits I have seen have been in the $300 range. When I look at the tools that come in the kits, I keep thinking to myself, "How the hell does that add up"?:eek: