Basic Centerfire Rifle

tmd47762

I had the semiauto rifle bug, but got over it. They are too expensive, and too inaccurate. So now I am wondering what I can get in an inexpensive rifle (any action, though I suspect bolt will be the least inexpensive). I reload, so factory ammo costs are not an issue, though bullet costs are an issue. I have 2 rifles in .257 (.250-3000 and .257 Roberts), but they are 80-90 years old, so I don't want to subject them to my tinkering around until I get the kinks worked out for my rifle loading.

My goals are:
High volume centerfire rifle @ 100 m for proficiency (think rifle at pistol volume)
Varmint and light deer cartridge. I live in GA, so 50 m on a whitetail is my minimum for a max load.

I would load any caliber, but I already have rifles that shoot .257, .284, and .308 (30-30) already, but would be easily convinced on a lighter .22 bullet because of the cost.

jhgreasemonkey

Yeah for what you are after a .243 would be ideal. I would look at the savage 110, 111 combo deals. I know people will say that the scope that comes on combo deals is crap but it will get you started. That rifle is a superb shooter, I like the accu trigger, and it's not especially pretty so you don't have to pay for the cosmetics of higher dollar rifles. Expect to find deals in the $350-$400 range.

jmr40

With the right bullets a 223 will handle GA deer with no problem. If you think there is any possibility of bear, or hog hunting then skip over the 243 and go with 308.

Leif

You probably could find a used Browning BLR in .243 on one of the auction sites for not too much. I've seen them come up periodically in the $400 to $500 range, and that would give you a potentially higher rate of fire.

James R. Burke

I got my wife the .243 win. I reload, and for deer use a Nosler 100 grain partition. She shot at two deer and dropped them both. Some people say they are a little light for deer, but shot placement is the key. A wounded animal with anything is wounded. If your a good sportsperson if you dont have the shot, you dont take it. It will also work really well for a varmint round. I have some loaded up for her with the 55 grain ballistic tip, but might pick up the grain weight a little bit. Some folks I am sure wont aggree but I really like the Ruger No 1 A light sporter. Cost alittle bit for a single shot, but they are really nice to reload for. I have three of them, and they are all very accurate, and nice looking guns. The wood is real nice. Some people dont think they are supper accurate, but all of mine are, even using the factory ammo. You can get the 100 grain Nosler partition in a factory made round also. I have the .30-06, .416 Rem mag, and my wife has the .243 win. I have never had one problem with them ever. Some just dont care for single shots, and I can understand that. Most the time deer hunting you are only going to get one good shot anyways. Just my thoughts on caliber, and rifle. The fun part is picking one out. Good luck, and have fun. I did not hit much on the price, but new they do cost alittle bit. I am sure with some shopping you can find a real nice used one. Or go to a differnt rifle then I suggested. They are all correct on the caliber the .243 would fit what you are looking for.

Last edited:

FALPhil

At the next Eastman Gun Show in Cobb or Gwinett, you will find what you are looking for.

I like the Savage 10/110 because you can swap out barrels very easily, and they are very reasonable to start out with. The Stevens 200, is the Savage 110 with a rough finish, and I see them at the show for sub- $300.

If you go with a 243, I recommend you handload with a very tough bullet. IMO, a 260 Rem, 7mm-08, or 308 would be a better choice for deer. If you are shooting deer regularly at 50 yards, you are hunting in North Georgia. Who knows? You may find yourself south of Macon one day looking at a 180lb 12-pointer at 250-300 yards. The 243 is marginal on such a shot.

Of course, with the Savage, you could have a 243 barrel AND a 308 Barrel, and swap them out in about 5 minutes.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Hard to find a rifle in today's world that won't be quite accurate, insofar as small groups. Sometimes a little tweaking of the forearm bedding is needed to tighten the groups.

The many-years consensus around here and at THR is that for the money, the Savage seems to rate very highly. Far more positive comments than negative; I'd guess better than 9 out of 10 have been favorable.

IMO, the main thing is how a rifle fits your body's dimensions. "Shootability" for short-range deer/hog hunting is more important than uber-tight-group accuracy.

FWIW...

fisherman66

I'd look at the Howa or inexpensive Weatherby version (same action) in 270 if you are convinced less expensive is the right path, although I like Mr. Burke's suggestion (I'd opt for the 7x57 in the A version since I already have it in the RSI version...that should tell you where my loyalties lie.)

qwman68

i have killed at least 25-30 deer with my .243 and shot some of them well beyond 300 yrds. it will drop them all day long. 300 yards isnt much of a limitation for a 243, not around here anyway. my son is 11 years old and he can shoot 3 inch groups at 200 yards with a handi-rifle,and a 3x9x40 shooters edge scope.as far as im concerned it is a great caliber..

a7mmnut

Handi Rifle in one of many calibers=$249

Add barrels for any choice of shotgun, rifle, muzzleloader caliber or gauge for $40-120. Whine about a bad trigger, and they'll tune that while they fit your new barrel for free.:D It's an unbelievable deal for a super accurate package. I have the 12 ga., 20 ga., .30-30, .22-250, .44 mag., and .50 ML barrels right now, soon to purchase the .308 and .25-06 on a new frame. Under MOA with most rifle barrels.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

-7-

Last edited:

sc928porsche

Sounds like 25-06 should be right up your alley. A good bolt action rifle can be found chambered it that cartridge. You will be then able to reload to your hearts content for your 257 calibrers without having to change bullets or primers and quite possibly powders. The 25-06 is very flat shooting and quite capable of taking both deer and varmits. It will also take elk at shorter ranges (100-150yds). The cartridge has been around for a very long time and those who have owend them really enjoy them. Much better for game than the 243 and the recoil is still mild. The cases can be formed from 06 casses by putting them in a FL die and forming just as if it were a 25-06. Very simple.

stalkingbear

I have to put in my .02 in the hat for the Marlin XS-7. I recently bought a Marlin XL-7 for a gift for a buddy and was so impressed by the way it shoots I'm going to have 1 for myself as a loaner/beater rifle. It features the same Accu-Trigger as Savage and comes equipped with Weaver type scope bases-all for only 300$. That way you can put a DECENT scope on it instead of trying to use the POS scopes they (Savage package deals or {Remington 710/770 junk}) come with. Nikon Prostaff 3x-9x-40mm usually run about another 150$, and another 20$ for rings. Taxes and all round it up to 500$ for everything. Oh yeah,MY caliber choice is arguably the finest whitetail cartridge ever designed-the 7mm08.

ndking1126

I would vote for the .25-06 over the .243. Either is a fine, but recoil is minimal at best, so I like the extra power of the .25-06.

GeauxTide

243. My old brother in law had a Model 88 and killed a warehouse full of deer with the old 100gr PowerPoint from 1969 to 1980. With 90gr Partitions, it would be hard to beat.