Basic AK muzzle brake questions--

Having been a stock SKS and Enfield guy, am brand-new to Kalash. derivatives. Two are the unmodified "nib" Saiga .223 and 7.62x39 (to remain so), and now a Maadi "ARM". Began buying this in February.

A long term goal is to eventually find a way to shoot feral pigs (we are in west TN). Have no idea where or when, other than the very pricey option to one day possibly charter a small Robinson in south TX for a couple of hours.

Is the basic, lower-cost "slant brake" typical on military AKs approx. as effective at reducing muzzle climb as the western designs? Planning to research this before retirement next year.

AK103K

I dont think youre going notice any reduction in muzzle rise with the slant brake on a semi rifle. Not sure you'd notice in full.

The AK74 type brake does seem to offer some reduction, or at least the brake on my Krebs Saiga conversion does. Shoot the two side by side, and you can tell the difference. Its not much of a difference, but there is a difference, if you focus on it.

The downside to the AK74 type is, its a bit louder and the flash is a lot more noticeable, as its more directed out to the sides.

With either, I never found recoil or muzzle rise with the 7.62x39 to be a problem, even when shooting quickly. Personally, Id rather have a good flash suppressor (something like an AAC Blackout) on the gun than a brake.

ronl

Tried a lot of different brakes on AKs and one of the better ones is the Tapco slotted brake. It is slightly better at controlling muzzle flip than the 74 brake, and is inexpensive and doesn't add weight to the front of the rifle. Should be able to pick one up for $15 or less, which is just about as economical as it gets. Doesn't do anything as far flash suppression, but isn't as bothersome to those standing beside you, either.

Mrgunsngear

The slant brake will give you a slight reduction but any muzzle device will, even flash hiders. Diverting gas is what reduces perceived recoil and/or muzzle rise. Devices that divert them to the sides will reduce perceived recoil the most and ones that direct it up will reduce climb the most.