basic 1911 questions.. what's that for?

Kaylee

Been looking around at various 1911s, both the bare-bones military-based models and the all-spiffied up models. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why some of the newer features were developed, if they worked, and if they're really worth the extra money for (seen on a Springfield model, as I recall)--

front slide serrations

full-length guide rod

that little cut-out in the top of the chamber for a a loaded round indicator (does that risk lowering the integrity of the chamber?)

Thanks!

-K

oh yes.. one other thing.. does slide-frame tightness really matter? Does it have much effect on accuracy or "running when cruddy"

Discussions of full-length guide rods vs standard are encyclopedic over at the 1911 Forum. It's been done to death. The result of all that debate? Er, go with what you like. :) As for the chamber indicator on the new Springfields, you don't actually think they didn't pressure test that notch before tooling up, do you? The strength has GOT to be there, else they could not have released it. It's proof tested for sure.

Front slide serrations have been discussed to death also. Love/hate thing, for sure. Totally up to the user. Personally, I don't like them at all.

Frame to slide fit is subjective also. I've owned 1911s that you could call a mama rattlesnake out of the woods with. Barrel bushing fit is much more important. My current carry piece could be much tighter in the slide to frame fit but since the barrel is fitted properly, accuracy is sweet. Reliability is 100%. I think people take slide/frame fit too seriously because it's so easy to check.

Hope this helps.

C.R.Sam

The inspector pretty well covered it.

Lots of pretties to seperate the buyer from his money. A very few actually help.

Sam

dsk

A serious fighting 1911 only needs three things:

1. Absolute reliability (most come that way from the factory these days, thankfully).

2. A decent trigger pull (alas, not all come this way).

3. Decent sights (most all have acceptable sights, but you can find better ones in the aftermarket).

The rest is mostly cosmetic. The upswept beavertail will make shooting a lot more comfortable, but it isn't absolutely necessary. An ambi thumb safety is necessary if you're left-handed, but that's pretty much it.

Shmackey

A serious fighting 1911 only needs three things...

I don't know much about combat 1911s as they interest me for Bullseye and tinkering purposes. But personally, I think that a good trigger is necessary for competition--I don't know why you'd need a trigger job for "fighting." And I think that once you've shot a 1911 with a beavertail, well, it's necessary to have one!

I love my Kimber because it's rifle-accurate and I can toy with it, but if I had to depend on a pistol to save my life, I don't think I'd go with a 1911 anymore.

Erik

I depend on mine.

And would any other, assuming the opportunity to thoroughly test it. Just like any other model of pistol expected to be relied on.

---

Anyway, as Inspector Callahan said, guide rods and serrations are a purely personal thing. Frame to slide fit is important if ultimate accuracy is your goal. Satisfied with normal or reasonable accuracy? Then don't worry about it. Rattling 1911s were legendary during the wars for flawless performance, no matter what. That's not to say that tight 1911s arenlt reliable. Plenty of folks own ones that are. It's all kinda moot, though.Like I mentioned above, any pistol that someone plans on relying on should be thoroughly tested. Have one that doesn't function flawlessly? Fix or replace it.

sleeping dog

Well, maybe it needs four things :)

4. A good magazine (or clip, if you prefer that term) - some factories fail to supply a quality mag.

Regards.

Quartus

A good magazine (or clip, if you prefer that term)

Anyone who prefers that term, prefers to be ignorant. Magazine is correct, clip is not.

As to depending on one, a lot of men have, and have needed to, and not been disappointed.

dsk

I don't know why you'd need a trigger job for "fighting."

The main thing that keeps the 1911 in the running as a top-notch fighting handgun is its ability to put bullets exactly where you want them, quickly and accurately. If the trigger is gritty and takes 9lbs to fire then you forfeit the one of the biggest advantages of the 1911- its trigger.

9x19

I'd have to argue for another aspect and that is "shooter comfort". Even the military realized a pistol that bites is going to diminish what it and the operator are capable of achieving. Flinch is real, and uncomfortable pistols often induce/enhance it.

In that vein, I think the beavertail grip safety is an important thing for alot of people.

So, for me it's:

1. Reliability (including good magazines)

2. Shootability (including trigger pull, sights AND comfort)

3. Accuracy (when shot by you, some people/pistols meld, some do not)