BartB.

hooligan1

Whatever happened to Bart B.??? Has anybody heard from him or read any new post from him?
He is a wealth of information...

603Country

I PM'd him a while back, just to be sure he was Ok. He was fine. I think he just got tired of dealing with us. Not having him on the forum, as far as I'm concerned, is our loss. He's extremely knowledgable, though a bit opinionated.

Nathan

I think he just got tired of dealing with us. Not having him on the forum, as far as I'm concerned, is our loss. He's extremely knowledgable, though a bit opinionated.

I agree with this sentiment.. I would honestly say I often disagreed with things he said, or better claims he made, but I always welcomed and valued his input.

kraigwy

I liked BartB

In his field (HP Rifle) he knows what he's talking about. He is a wealth of information in that field.

Agree with him or not, He was generally right.

AllenJ

I too enjoyed reading his post, and via PM's he helped me diagnose an issue with one of my rifles. Glad he is OK.

hooligan1

He's sent a ton of lead through the target butts, and yes what a wealth of info.
Sometimes I read his old post just to refresh memories of what he's trying to convey to us, and yes maybe you don't get every thing he's saying but it's still valuable to us.
As far as I'm concerned, he's a true legend of shooting sports and his comments will always be valid.

reynolds357

He knows precision rifle shooting. It is just hard for some people on here to realize that every accurate piece of knowledge does not have an internet link available to it. I never heard him say anything I could prove wrong.

Clark

Back in the day, I was following Gale Mcmillan here in TFL rifle country with his round bottomed Rem 700s and Bart Bobbitt on rec.guns with his flat bottomed Win M70s. They both returned messages to me, but that was 4 computers ago.

Using De Haas's book "Bolt Action Rifles" 4th edition, I have compiled a list of attributes of these two rifles and give the Howa a 50% rating for being in between.

the 98 Mauser has:
1) flat bottomed receiver to take torque from rifling
2) controlled feed
3) claw typed extractor
4) safety on firing pin, often modified to be 2 or 3 position M70 type
5) multi stage gas filter on firing pin hole
6) bolt handle is integrally forged as part of bolt body
7) safety lug below rear bridge
8) integral recoil lug
9) knife ejector in bolt lug slot

The rem 700
1) receiver made from round tubing
2) push feed
3) little wimpy extractor
4) safety on trigger
5) simple bolt
6) bolt handle tacked on with screw and solder
7) nothing
8) recoil lug is a modified washer that is captured by the receiver and barrel
9) plunger ejector

Of the ~100 bolt action covered in the above book, they seem to all be on the spectrum somewhere between the simple Rem700 and the complex 1898 Mauser design.

The Howa 1500:
1) flat bottom receiver
2) push feed
3) short claw extractor is bigger than rem, but smaller than M98
4) three position bolt safety
5) simple bolt
6) Integral bolt handle
7) nothing
8) integral recoil lug
9) plunger ejector

I would give the Howa Mauser scale = ~50% Mauser
I would give the Howa Rem700 scale = ~50% Rem700