Barrett-Jackson Jeep $104K...propane machineguns?

Rembrandt

Nice Army Jeep restoration....but I'm a little confused about the propane machine guns? Looks like a 50 BMG and a 30 Cal water cooled.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appl...aspx?aid=283&sd=01/16/2009&ed=01/16/2009&c=30

Lot Number: 943.1
Auction: SCOTTSDALE 2009
Sale Price: *$104,500.00
Year: 1951
Make: WILLYS
Model: JEEP
Style: CONVERTIBLE
Exterior Color: DRAB GREEN
Interior Color: DRAB GREEN
Cylinders: 4
Engine Size:
Transmission: 3-SPEED MANUAL
Summary: A frame-off restoration of a fully equipped Military Jeep. with a .50 caliber, water-cooled machine gun mounted in the floor that "fires" shots. Also has telephone, radios, an operating siren, gas can, helmets and more.

Details: A frame-off restoration of a fully equipped Military Jeep. It includes a .50 caliber water cooled machine gun mounted in the floor that "fires" shots. It is fired by propane and oxygen. Also has telephone, radios, an operating siren, gas can, helmets and more.

71103_Front_3-4.jpg

71103_Rear_3-4.jpg

71103_Interior.jpg

71103_Engine.jpg

Last edited:

Avenger

I've seen them on period correct vehicles. It's a way of simulating firing a gun without using blanks. Basically, you've got a casing SHAPED like a .30, but inside is a stutter valve controlled by the trigger. It pulses out a slug of propane gas from the attached line, which travels down the barrel to a mixing chamber in the "water jacket" where air is added, then the gases are ignited just before the tip of the barrel. It makes a nice flash, a decent bang, and LOOKS like the MG is firing.

Most of the firearms in movies use a variation on the mechanism, some are small enough to fit into an M16-sized magazines or into hollowed out stocks.

-Yo-

Message for Rembrandt

Rembrandt,

T-Track bench
Sorry to communicate via this thread but don't know any way to email you. I run the AccurateShooter website and would like to feature your T-track loading bench system in a Blog report. I think this would interest our readers.

Please reply to mailbox [at] 6mmBR.com or send private message to this account.

Thank you.