Barrels for Remington 11-87

TimW77

I'm looking for a Shotgun to use for deer hunting in a "Shotgun Only" state.

With cash being very short with the holidays coming up, my dad suggested I use his Remington 11-87 instead of buying a "cheap" shotgun.

Problem is his shotgun has a 28" Vent Rib barrel with choke tubes. Dad said he would buy a slug barrel if I wanted to use it.

My question is, what type of barrel would be best?

I've seem barrels with iron sights and barrels with scope mounts but have never seen a barrel with both which is what I would prefer.

T.

rem870hunter

you can 1 get a barrel for the 11-87. or 2 buy another shotgun with depending on the area you are hunting an what type of shots you might be presented with.

if its heavy brush buckshot,unless you can use slugs and still or stand hunt. if you can use slugs get a smoothbore barrel with open sights. if its buckshot only where you are hunting the vent rib will do fine.

if you may be taking shots farther than 75 yards a fully rifled barel with open sights or a cantilever scope mount. the cantilever barrel will cost more than the open sighted one.

what i have is an open sighted smoothbore barrel and a b square scope mount bracket. its held on by the trigger group pins. very reliable. you can install and remove it easily.

if some unforseen reason the scope gets damaged you can pull the bracket off and still hunt with the open sights. nothing says you can't get either a fully rifled or a smoothbore open sighted barrel and use the scope mount i mentioned. getting another barrel and scope if wanted if needed will be cheaper than buying another shotgun.

zippy13

While the existing barrel isn't the ideal choice for deer loads, it's available. A fancy buck barrel is nice but not a necessity. As suggested by rem870hunter, get a scope and saddle mount. Give it a try with the existing barrel. Another option is a clamp on sight set for the vent rib. An adjustable fire sight set from Williams is less than $30.

WU70230.jpg

hillbille

I have to agree with zippy, I have a set of those sights on a 410 w/vent rib, at 50 yards I can cloverleaf three shots. not bad for a shotgun and old eyes, even though it is the grandsons.:D