Barrel Question

BikerRN

I'm on the hunt for a Mauser Action / Rifle that I want to turn in to a .308 calibered Scout.

If I find a Remington Barrel can I give that to my Gunsmith, along with a stock, and get out the door at a reasonable cost, or do I need to be looking at other barrels? I'm assuming he may have to rethread the barrel, but that shouldn't be an exstensive job, right?

Biker

F. Guffey

No, the Remington barrel shank is soo small for a large shank/receiver Mauser, The Turk large ring/small shank would work, I do not suggest using a small ring Mauser.

Price? First I would get the Sunday morning paper and look at the sports type adds, I believe a New Mossbert in 30/06 or 308 W cost less then $300.00 and Remingtons for less than $400.00.

A builder friend has a Mauser he built and has for sale $350.00, new 308 W barrel, timney trigger, low profile safety, scope mount, bent bolt and blued, he can not purchase the parts to replace the parts he used for that price, forget the labor.

F. Guffey

BikerRN

Thank you.

That answer steers me more and more towards buying an already chambered rifle with the features I'm looking for rather than attempting to cobble something together.

Biker

mapsjanhere

You can try to find an Israeli or Norwegian Mauser, both country extensively rebarreled German Mausers into 308. Use one of the swap-in scope mounts that connect to the rear sight, instant scout.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If you take a milsurp rifle and make it into the equvalent of, say, a Remington 700, you will spend a lot more than if you bought a Remington 700. If you want a chopped up knock around rifle, use it as is.

If you have a rifle in 8mm, it is a better cartridge than the .308 anyway.

Jim