Barrel movement at full lockup.

MR.G

I have a S&W 6906. I bought the gun from a local dealer who said that he knew the guns history, and that the previous owner probably never shot it. The gun looked like new and had no signs of wear. Only after shooting and cleaning the gun for the first time did I notice that if I pressed down on the barrel hood, with the slide fully forward, the barrel could be pushed down. My other third generation S&W pistol barrel is tight at the hood in full lockup and can't be moved at all. When pressing down I would guess that the movement is at least 1/16" but can't tell exactly. Also, I found that when the barrel moves downward the slide moves rearward slightly. If the slide is held tight, the barrel can't be pushed down. I I shot at least 150 rounds through the gun, without any problems. I only have one other S&W third generation to compare it to, and that one is tight and won't move. How much barrel movement, if any, is normal at lockup? Should this be a concern?

745SW

Why push the hood down? The barrel is cammed into position and held in place by the recoil spring.

A 1911 is most likely different, the barrel should not move.

Last edited:

g.willikers

Does it affect the shooting?
Is the accuracy ok?
It's been awhile, but pretty sure the barrel travel is controlled by ramps in the sides of the frame and the slide latch.
There might be some play there.
The recoil spring uses a full length guide, but it's main purpose is to return the slide to battery.
If the gun shoots ok, don't sweat it.
It's mighty pretty - enjoy.

Last edited:

745SW

Well….you got me curious about this barrel movement so I just tried it on a number of my pistols. They are a Glock 19C, Ruger P89, three S&W 745’s, Colt Gold Cup series 70 and a Walther P5. The only movement I noticed was a spring loaded feeling vertical play of the slide on most except the Colt. I pressed down on the hoods rather firmly.

Perhaps you have an unusually very slick/smooth operating S&W and/or a weak recoil spring.

Interesting concept just the same.
:)