Barrel Life of a Win 270 WSM?

Tanzer

As I stated on an earlier post. I was as happy as a kid at Christmastime when I purchased my Winchester model 70 chambered for WSM. I'm a handgun guy, so powerful rifles are new to me, But I do my homework. I've spoken to a dozen folks who told me it was a good to great choice.
I mentioned it at the range tonight (Junior Rifle League) and the assistant coach stated; "Powerful rifle, but don't expect the barrel to last more than a thousand rounds, I'd be surprised if you got fifteen hundred before it burns out".
He has fired a lot more rifles than I have, but I have trouble believing that. I was also told four years ago that my Taurus handgun would be short-lived, and that was about 35,000 (yes, that's thirty-five thousand) rounds ago.
I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that he's full of hot air, and any suggestions other than the complete and thorough cleaning that I give all my firearms after every use.
I plan on reloading (have done many pistol cartriges) so tips on working with the bottleneck WSM cartrige would be appreciated. Can it be done properly on a Dillon RL550 4 stage? Different dies needed?
Thanks in advance.

hoghunting

Barrel life can be shortened severely on any magnum rifle if the shots are fired quickly even after the barrel heats up. When shooting at the range, don't run through the magazine in 40 seconds. Take a shot and let the barrel cool 2-3 minutes between shots. After each group, I run a solvent-soaked patch through the barrel, let it sit about 5 minutes, then follow with a couple of dry patches. This reduces fouling and cools the barrel. In a hunting situation, 2 or 3 fast shots won't hurt the barrel.

geez768

from what i read the 270WSM and regular 270 are almost exactly the same just able to use the WSM in a shorter action. so i would not expect any difference in the two for life of barrels

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Any hunting cartridge in any rifle is generally considered to NOT be a "bangity, bangity, bangity" plinking or paper-puncher for many, many rounds per range session.

So, for what might be called normal hunting use, you're basically talking about a box or two shells a year. Few rifles won't last at least 2,000 rounds before the burning of the leade is enough to hurt accuracy. And for many, that burning only affects bench-rest requirements or competition match requirements--it won't bother a hunter.

So, 2,000 rounds at even 50 a year is 40 years.

And if you roll yuour own loads, down-loading even slightly gets you on out to quite a few thousands. My pet '06 is in the general neighborhood of some 4,000 rounds, give or take a couple of hundred.

Art