barrel length, bullet weight, accuracy?

troy_mclure

I've got a ruger sbh that i am getting the barrel chopped from 7.5" to 5.5".

The gun is an absolute tack driver with HOT 300gr loads. ive tried a wide variety of loads from 180gr to 400gr, but i get my best accuracy with the 300gr bullets. next is the 180gr.

With loosing 2" of barrel, will that affect the guns preferred bullet weights any?

ive got a few dozen loads of each still, im hoping they are still as accurate in the gun.

Accuracy may not be affected. You will lose some velocity and recoil will increase.

In general, the main way in which shortening a barrel can affect accuracy, other than greater muzzle movement under greater recoil, is that muzzle pressure is higher at the moment of bullet exit. That exposes the bullet base to more muzzle blast, which, in turn, exaggerates any small error in the crown or bullet base squareness by tipping the bullet more than it otherwise would. I don't find this a big deal with square base bullets unless the crowning job is outright off. Some boattails are more sensitive to it, but you don't see many of those for .44 Mag.

WESHOOT2

all very mechanical

Shortening a tube can stiffen it.
Shortening a pistol barrel will change its harmonics.
Most important is the quality of the crown.

Testing required (should be fine).

troy_mclure

peetzakilla, i had the non scoped version of that holster.

one of the plastic loops broke after 2 days.

no more unkle mikes for me.

GeauxTide

I've got a Bianchi 4100 Tanker style holster for my 7.5 Bisley 41. You can also get a scoped version with a flap. If you shoot 300s, your hands will be talking to you if you cut it.