Barrel lead times

kilotanker22

Anyone here know if a barrel maker that has a wait time of less than 5 months? Would like to rebarrel my Ruger American and be ready to shoot by this spring. Right now Shilen, Preferred and Criterion have 16-20 week wait times

ballardw

Suggest that you provide the parameters for the barrel of interest.
Match grade?
Caliber?
Chambered or just rifled? (get local gunsmith to ream the chamber, may be quicker. Maybe)
Barrel contour?

MarkCO

Blanks are taking about 4 to 6 weeks to be delivered to smiths. I'd find a good local smith to spin up a barrel for you. While I am in Denver and there are three here I know of that are still taking work, a few in the south, I bet you can find one near you that can take good care of you. Ask your LGS who is good and who they recommend to get a start on it.

Nathan

Try bugholes.com or Kreiger Direct. They usually have something close. Also, look around. There are a lot of blanks for sale on forums. I just bought a Hart HV (regular) 14 tw 6mm....paid $300 to my door.

kilotanker22

For a Ruger American, 26", 6.5 Creedmoor, threaded muzzle.
No taper .850".

I guess I could probably chamber it myself. Muzzle and tennon threads I do not have the tools to cut though.

RC20

I would go with Northern Shooters Supply (NSS)

I ordered a barrel myself from Shilen then two Shilen from NSS. I am getting the two from NSS this week. Price is better and its a lot faster.

The barrel I ordered on my own is another month away.

Yes there is still a a wait but its the fastest I know of. NSS also reps Criterion but that was a longer time line.

kilotanker22

I called Preferred Barrel Blanks and they said a blank is only 2-4 weeks wait.
Gunsmith said that the work is a 6 week wait

Scorch

You can try McGowen barrels, their lead time is about 10 weeks and they can also rebarrel it for you.

Lilja takes about 13 weeks.

Shilen is running about 12-13 weeks.

Just bought a Douglas about 2 months ago, it was delivered in 5 weeks. I threaded and chambered it, it's sitting on the bench right next to me.

Green Mountain Barrels sells blanks, taking about 3 weeks last time I ordered one.

You can buy Bartlein barrels from Grizzly.com.

ER Shaw makes barrels, but I can't tell you what their lead time is since I don't use Shaw barrels.

You will have to find a smith to rebarrel it once you have the blank in hand.

RC20

For a Ruger American, 26", 6.5 Creedmoor, threaded muzzle.
No taper .850".

I guess I could probably chamber it myself. Muzzle and tennon threads I do not have the tools to cut though.

That is why I went with Savage though you can get a Remage as well in pre fit.

Changing a barrel and head space it is a piece of cake (with the right tools and knowledge)

I know some of the chassis also have pre fit but don't know what the American setup is.

kilotanker22

My American setup is:
Ruger American Go Wild
Chamber polished, bore and lugs lapped
Boyd's AT One stock with AICS bottom metal
20 MOA base, Vortex Precision rings
Spring kit in the trigger brought it down to 2 pounds

std7mag

Shaw is typically 8-12 weeks.

I'm hearing Douglas is having some fast turn around times.

I prefer people don't use the "junk Shaw barrels".
Lets me do groups like this.
200 meters, 5 shots, bipod, rear bag.

Attachments

• 0104211426_copy_576x1024.jpg
    0104211426_copy_576x1024.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

kilotanker22

I decided to change lanes and rebarrel my Savage 110 instead. I was able to find a Criterion Pre-fit barrel in MTU contour from Northland Shooter Supply.

FrankenMauser

If you are willing to order at least 1,000 units, I know a (well known, well respected) company that can get you taken care of in about 7 weeks.
There's just that sticky little problem of paying for and dealing with the other 999.

stagpanther

I decided to change lanes and rebarrel my Savage 110 instead. I was able to find a Criterion Pre-fit barrel in MTU contour from Northland Shooter Supply.
Good move--Criterions are great for ready-to-go prefits and James will take care of you. I just ordered a custom match shilen from NSS.

RC20

Agreed. Amazing a pre fit was available, country has been sucked dry for everything.

I have 3 headed this way.

RC20

I am waiting for something in the 35 degree range, tired of freezing my feet.

Two barrels in town, one a month off, sigh. Its the one I want right now to assemble the build of the 6.5 Lapua.

note: doing this again I would go with 6.5 CM. More brass choice and Large Pocket primers. Good news was I have some stock of Small Rifle and my brother sold me enough to keep going for some time. Plenty of powder stocked up (I call it the Powder Magazine now)

kilotanker22

It was 35 degrees here today. I tried the same load I have used in several rifles with good results. This barrel shoots pretty well, I am sure it will shoot better once I have tuned the seating depth.

I picked up 120 fps vs the same load in my 22" barreled Ruger, and about 80 fps over the 24" barrel that this 26" replaced. I shot 3 5 round groups sub moa and a ten round group sub moa as well.