barrel lapping

headroom

will lapping a barrel after it has been shot one or two hundred rounds make much difference? i assume it would just because it would smooth out the barrel.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Folks give various procedures for breaking in barrels. I would think lapping would possibly help, even after a couple of hundred rounds; it certainly couldn't hurt anything.

My problem is that all my rifles are so old that back then I didn't know about lapping and breaking-in. Since I'm getting under 1 MOA, and often 1/2 MOA, I guess I still don't need to know...(Maybe barrels were smoother, then? As in quality control? I doubt it, but I just don't know.)

FWIW, Art

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi Art and Headroom,

In the old days, a lot of the better barrels were lapped at the factory. Today, they don't bother because modern manufacturing processes produce better barrels than the old guys made, even with lapping.

Lapping won't hurt to a point, but it is, after all, speeded up wear. As in stoning an action or trigger, it is creating wear in a few minutes that would take years of working the action. But that still means less useful life. Like most of life, it is a tradeoff. And lapping will not make a bad barrel into a winner. I might make it an even worse barrel.

Jim