Barrel Info

Cris

Have two Sako magnum actions and two beautiful Sako pull-off stocks that I'm planning on turning into a couple of "classic" rifles in .300 and .375 H&H. Trying to decide on barrels for the project. I can go just down the road to Shilen; this option will be somewhat pricey, but I know the quality of their work. What I don't have experience with is both ER Shaw and Pac-Nor. Either of these two options is less money and they offer "full service" of fitting, blueing, etc. Would like to hear from those who have used their services in the past.

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Of the two Pac-Nor makes the better barrel. I don't know what they charge for installation and bluing. I've heard that ER Shaw does the work rather cheaply but I don't care much for their barrels. George

Cris

Thanks for the info George. I am not stuck on those particular barrels; just don't personally know anyone who has used their products or services. I know the first hand of Shilen's quality and know others with experience with Hart and Douglas, but thought I would explore other options. I have access to blueing tanks and am entertaining the idea of a slow rust blue (but will practice on something a little less expensive first). Again thanks!

Check out ''The Montana Rifleman'' they make top quality barrels in any configuration that you want at reasonable prices. They offer rebarreling services at good prices and stand behind their products. Reach them at mtrifle@bigsky.net
If you do your part, your rifle will shoot sub moa with their barrels.

Harry Bonar

barrels

Dear Sir:
I use Douglas barrels exclusively and have always been satisfied. I've built several rifles for an ex-MARINE Viet Nam era sniper and he's satisfied!

Wallew

My experience with Shilen barrels is IF DONE PROPERLY, I guarantee MOA from any rifle I build. Most shoot half MOA, but I just won't guarantee that.

mete

I have Douglas barrels and they're fine . However the barrel is only half the problem . The other half is to fit the barrel to the action properly and this is a job that has to be done carefully for the best results .You can , after all , buy barrels already threaded and chambered but don't think they will get you the most accuracy.