Barrel heating

publius

I've been thinking about this whole bull barrel jheating up slower & therefore being more accurate for extended firing. Seems that the bull barrel would dissipate heat slower than a regular barrel b/c the thick barrel would actually keep the heat in b/c it would take longer for the heat to be exposed to the outside environment and dissipate?

Scorch

Yes, bull barrels heat slower and therefore cool slower. Barrels heat up due to the heat of firing spreading through the metal, and they cool through radiation at a constant rate depending on the metallurgy, and convection based on their external dimensions being in contact with the air. But the best part about bull barrels is that they are much more stable and rigid than thinner barrels even when hot, so if you feel a need to fire a couple dozen shots in rapid succession, your barrel will still be able to take it and you may be able to hit your target.

Picher

Some people use compressed air or CO2 to cool barrels from the inside. I've yet to try it, but some gopher shooters use the methods a lot.

Picher

sureshots

Heat?

Standard barrels heat faster, True. Standard barrels also cool faster, true. The main purpose of A heavy barrel is A flex(vibration) issue,not heat.

NineInchNails

It is a wild thing to see when you notice the barrel heating up. Your shots begin to drift on paper.

The first time ever noticed it I was trying to zero in my first scope on my first AR-15. I had a hell of a time because as I began to get repeatability ... the damn shots started drifting :) I was constantly making scope adjustments. I was so frustrated that I left for a while. When I came back to shoot I was still off. I then realized that the barrel was heating up before :rolleyes:

Now I just take a few shots ... let it cool down. I prefer to have my scope zeroed in for a cold barrel. When you NEED it to be deadly accurate, I figure the first shot is the most important.